• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ISO: Inverter board for HP ft1703 17" LCD display

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I'm going through some "projects" (keep/toss) and came across an HP ft1703 VGA LCD monitor with a shorted inverter transformer. Otherwise, the display seems fine and it'd be a shame to toss it.

I'm wondering if one of you packrats out there might have the inverter board to this thing.

Chuck if you can't find the original inverter you can use a universal one like this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCFL-Lamp-Backlight-Universal-Inverter-Laptop-Screen-Repair-LCD-TV-Parts-MAX-19-/150788120766?pt=US_Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item231bac20be.I have succesfully replaced the inverter in my SAMPO lcd monitor many years ago with a generic one.Back then I found a generic inverter with only the working voltage input,but now you can have the on-off signal and the brightness signal input.

angel_grig, thanks for the link. I only wish I had thought to look for a universal inverter about 6 months ago - I had this great little 17" HP LCD that worked beautifully, but the inverter board was flakey, and only worked intermittently. At least now, I know that they exist and can remember to look next time! I too hate tossing otherwise-working LCDs... even the old ones make great secondary or test-bench monitors.

I'll look into getting a 4 lamp inverter (what the LCD has) if nothing turns up. They look a little small, but it's better than nothing and they're cheap enough.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I picked up a 4-lamp universal model for $3.25 shipped from That Auction Site; it looks like it might work okay and perhaps be an improvement over the original.

I'll keep the forum posted, if anyone cares.

Is anything made by HP anymore? :(

It's probably made for HP, however--to their specs.

AAR, my $3 eBay widget was identical to MPT M294 from your site:

Last edited:
A lot of the Benq/Dell/HP monitor inverters fail with bust capacitors, and some with particular transistors. So many that there are replacement kits sold on that same auction site for not much. I've restored three useful LCD monitors with those inverter repair kits.

Rick, the problem here was a shorted inverter transformer--not that simple to resolve--I'd already done a restoration, replacing two of the 4 driver transistors. The design for the these things basically sucks.

At any rate, I ordered both a 2 and a 4 CCFL "universal" inverter for basically shipping costs (<$5). I had to depopulate the inverter board on the HP monitor to make some room--you can't simply toss the board, as it has the 5V, 3.3V and 1.8V power supply regulation on it. The universal boards come with sticky foam pads already attached, so I basically stuck the 2 lamp unit (it fit best) to the depopulated inverter board and ran leads to the board (including the CFL lead sockets), +12 ground, "on" and "dim". Even though there are 4 CCFL lamps, the 2-lamp version delivers adquate brightness.

Was it worth the effort? Probably not, since old LCD monitors can be had easily for next to nothing. But it's a nice 17" rectangular model, not one of those stupid wide-screen ones, so it's useful for me.

{b]A caution[/b] If you do buy one of these, often, a connector is suppled for the low-voltage terminals. Do not assume anything about the wire colors used! I discovered on mine that +12 was black and "gound" was red! (measure twice, solder once!)

Back