• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Tandy 1000 EX with External 3.5 720K disk drive and mouse and dot matrix printer.

facattack

Veteran Member
Works fine. Just tested. 640k RAM installed onto computer.

Demo video 1

Demo video 2

Includes no software, no monitor. If I ship the monitor it will have to be professionally wrapped... so that costs extra. Good news: i have the original box for the external hard drive!

Plz PM me offers.

How can anyone make an offer when you don't specify where you are? Do you think shipping is the same all over the place for a heavy item like that? Make it easy on youself (and everybody else, too) and just fill in the appropriate field(s) in your profile. It's really simple. :)

I guess if it's a local pickup, I'll include the monitor, too.

Heck, save me the effort of making everything shipping worthy... :D

EDIT: PMed you, stone.

Last edited:
I actually didn't realize the ex was a keyboard edition. What's funny is I have the worst of both worlds with what I'm pretty sure is my HX. It doesn't have 640K of RAM so I can't get a lot of ware to run on it and it only has a 3.5" drive which means the stuff I COULD run on it I can't run (without copying). Otherwise I think it's a fun starter system to experience Tandy with. It just takes a regular power cord or did it need an external power supply? Is the external floppy a 3.5 or 5.25?

I actually didn't realize the ex was a keyboard edition.
Yes. It wasn't until my Flextastic Gateway with 40 GB hard drive that I was able to compute with a hard drive rather than do disk swapping. So this was around 2000. Oh the joys of Windows ME...

What's funny is I have the worst of both worlds with what I'm pretty sure is my HX. It doesn't have 640K of RAM so I can't get a lot of ware to run on it and it only has a 3.5" drive which means the stuff I COULD run on it I can't run (without copying).

5.25 drive built-in plus a 3.5 external drive.

Otherwise I think it's a fun starter system to experience Tandy with. It just takes a regular power cord or did it need an external power supply? Is the external floppy a 3.5 or 5.25?

The external disk drive is 3.5. It connects with one small plug-in thingie plus a long bar connector of some kind. The cable itself that connects the disk drive to the computer is stiff and roughly L-shaped. The exteranl drive is powered by the computer. I would be amiss to say that the external is 720K.

Make me an offer, bary. I just listed her on ebay... The peasants can pay me $50 to $75 plus S/H. Anyone on here can offer me less as long as they pay me enough for shipping.

Ebay auction. Some goof on ebay is selling a what I've got plus a monitor for 1k plus S/H. Haha!

EDIT: The power cord is built-into the computer itself... I'm keeping the software for when I can afford to buy a proper "tweener"...

It's a nice little system, although the HX has a small bit more room in it to allow for adding an XT-IDE and a CF hard drive (in the 2nd floppy drive bay). I'm fairly certain that the upgrade could be done in the EX as well, though it would certainly take a bit more creativity with the fitting of the CF adapter and card, possibly (and probably) even cutting the internal shield.

All in all though, it's a nice 8088 system - I rather like my EX and HX (though I've only got the external 5.25" drive)

There's not really a good one. The XT-IDE card is physically too tall(or wide depending on perspective) to fit in the expansion bay. If you feel like building an external expansion bay for an XT-IDE + CF IDE adaptor, and connecting it to the plus slot via 42 conductor ribbon cable, it might work. Might not if the ribbon cable is too long. I gave up on my EX and got a TX. Highly recommended.

Though, I might try it again with the "software only" XT IDE discussed elsewhere on this site.

I'll bite... how much would a "hard drive" solution cost me for this unit?

The XT-IDE card works fine on it if you have the memory/DMA expander card installed if you make an adapter cable (a plus card pin header to ISA bus card edge connector... wired straight through so it's easy). I have an HX myself with an XT-IDE and a CF card in it. I just stuffed the CF card in the extra space between the keyboard and the expansion slot bay. The EX I imagine should be the same.

Me too.
On my HX, I have an XTIDE rev1 card, a 3.5" HDD stuffed into the expansion bay, and a CF card reader taking up the 3rd slot off the back of the machine.

I also got an EX machine not too long ago with external HDD+FDD boxes. The HDD was totally DOA, so my plan is to put an XTIDE card in the EX and run power and an IDE cable out to the expansion box and run a 3.5" drive in there. The more MFM/RLL drives I replace with IDE the better the world becomes. ;)

BTW, I would be happy to sell off either the HX or EX machines with their XTIDE cards and hard drives. I really don't need so many boxes in my house. Not trying to steal your thread facattack

I made a mistake. There's a fifty dollar reserve on the auction. I can't remove it because I'm told to enter a "reimbursement plan" to my account.

I try to but my two debit cards aren't accepted as valid numbers even though they are both Visas. :(

So whoever wants it, PM offers here. I'll take down the auction. Minimum bid is $20.

Stupid computers...

Back