• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for some way to have a 2 way chat session in DOS via Serial Null Modem cable

arrow_runner

Veteran Member
This idea was sprung on me very last minute. Originally we were going to use my Atrix computer for this, which we may still use, but a better idea would probably be to use 2 old 8088/286 PCs for back and forth chat.

The story (you can skip this), if you've never heard of the RPG Paranoia, it sounds like it's about a paranoid computer system that manages an entire underground colony of humans with a cold-war era feeling and technology, aside from the advanced weapons. In the game, players must talk to the computer through a terminal and that's where we'd like get this set up and working. The gm will be handling 'the computer's' responses.

I'd prefer to just use 2 older PCs, but if a newer one needs to be involved to act as the server side it would be 'okay'.

Oh, and the deadline to get something working is tomorrow lol. I've had difficulty finding something on google because I keep coming across people referring to 'dos' as the command prompt in windows and other things mudding up the search.

A null modem cable and procomm plus or something should work, or you could set up a quick BBS type system and null modem to the com port of the BBS and the sysop could enter chat mode. I'm sure there are other free methods as well but you'd just need a terminal program and to tell it to answer on com1 and I think you should be able to type to eachother after that, it'll just be ugly and no way to really tell who typed what until you press enter twice or something.

I think the old PCAnywhere for DOS had a built in chat, and you could connect machines via serial. Also I think LapLink had chat too.

As barythrin said: null modem cable + your favorite serial / terminal emulator program, preferably one with a split screen mode. Done.

Was Contiki ported to DOS? If so, it has an IRC application built in. Could that work?

There are at least 2 IRC clients that run in DOS already - no Contiki needed.

A null modem with serial cables and terminal emulators seems to be the most authentic solution. But to get a split screen setup (one half of the screen for each person) some other software is going to be required. Not hard to do, but I don't know of anything off the shelf.

Unix had an old chat program called "talk" that would work nicely - it would be trivial to implement it.

I guess my earlier reply isn't showing up because it has links in it and is still awaiting moderation?

Anyhow, I unfortunately didn't get it set up in time but we may be playing the game again in the near future plus being able to transfer files via serial will be handy.

I ran into a problem using laplink 3 and 5. I can connect and see the files from each computer, but when I try to do a transfer, it time-outs. The current working setup was between a Win98 laptop and my 'in-progress' tweener just booting off a 3.5 floppy. Any ideas? I tried changing the baud-rates and turning off the 'turbo' option, but it didn't work. The two computers could definitely see each other and communicate, but they wouldn't transfer files.

I also had another similar program that wouldn't connect because it couldn't detect a carrier. That may not be relevant but I suppose it could be.

I'm not all that familiar with the laplink software but it could be the transfer protocol wasn't supported by both systems. Were you able to do a chat session with them or any other type of browsing to confirm the com ports were configured properly and working?

I guess my earlier reply isn't showing up because it has links in it and is still awaiting moderation?

That doesn't sound likely since we all post lots of links and members aren't usually moderated in that way.

I ran into a problem using laplink 3 and 5. I can connect and see the files from each computer, but when I try to do a transfer, it time-outs. The current working setup was between a Win98 laptop and my 'in-progress' tweener just booting off a 3.5 floppy. Any ideas? I tried changing the baud-rates and turning off the 'turbo' option, but it didn't work. The two computers could definitely see each other and communicate, but they wouldn't transfer files.

I also had another similar program that wouldn't connect because it couldn't detect a carrier. That may not be relevant but I suppose it could be.

It sounds like you're doing something overly complicated. Here is a small communications program that will work for sure, but I don't know about Win98. Why don't you just run DOS? Stick it on a floppy so you don't have to touch the Win98 installation.

I'm not all that familiar with the laplink software but it could be the transfer protocol wasn't supported by both systems. Were you able to do a chat session with them or any other type of browsing to confirm the com ports were configured properly and working?

I don't know about the transfer protocol. I guess maybe it could be an issue. I know that the 2 computers saw each other because I was able to browse the files remotely. I was going to try to use a 486 as part of the testing, but the PSU blew (loud bang!) after being on for 20 seconds. It went right back to the shelf lol.

It sounds like you're doing something overly complicated. Here is a small communications program that will work for sure, but I don't know about Win98. Why don't you just run DOS? Stick it on a floppy so you don't have to touch the Win98 installation.

The laptop only has a CD drive. I need to make a note to look for a floppy for it...

Last edited:
Back