• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Member from Frederick County, Maryland

TomFisher

Hi All!

I am just beginning with vintage computers (older than I am). Currently I have no experience with anything before an Intel 386 / MS DOS (or PC DOS sometimes) and Windows 3.1

However, I have recently purchased a Corona PPC-400-22 (It hasn't even arrived yet) with an Intel 8088. The purchase comes as one of my friends recently found an IBM 5155 luggable and I fell in love with the idea.

My other computers are a Packard Bell Legend 5385Z 133MHz, and from there it skips to Pentium III class and up. I used to have a Pentium II which was a truly awesome computer but it has sadly stopped functioning. My current favorite is a 900MHz AMD Thunderbird which IMO is the best thing AMD ever made (any of my friends that use it agree).

A little about me, I used to be much more into computers, having a machine running every version of Windows and many Linux versions dating back to Redhat Shrike. That was back in high school. When college came around, having been given a car with 150K miles on it as my first car, computers and electronics in general went on the back burner so I could learn how to properly maintain (and soup up where possible) my automobile. Now that I've pretty much mastered that, I've come back to electronics learning combinational logic circuits (4000 series CMOS and 74ls series TTL), microcontrollers and ever so slightly sequential logic circuits.

I absolutely prefer a CRT to an LCD and I've written some of my best papers on my Brother WP3400 word processor.

I'm joining this forum because I figure I'm out of my league with this and I'd better ask some people who know. Sadly, I've never met someone who has had any where with all with vintage computers. My Grandfather had a lot of knowledge about this but I never knew it until he passed. It came as a shock to me seeing all of the Pentium I and prior machines he had that I never knew about. The only one I was able to save was the Packard Bell and that will always be important to me because of it.

I look forward to when I get good enough that I can help some newbie in my current position, that's what I've done with cars and that's what I hope to do here.

Regards,

Thomas

Welcome Thomas. We're always happy to see new folks and help out where we can. Pretty extensive background it sounds like you're getting. On the bright side the fundamentals are pretty much the same from the 8086 to current computers as far as the components on the motherboard. The only thing that obviously changes are the bus/speeds. It's certainly fun though back then. Much simpler to repair and know what you needed than today's quick all in one designs where you can't repair half the onboard surface mount components.

So you are already familiar with dos or were saying you didn't have experience with things that old? If you do then you'll be able to get around well or just find a dos manual somewhere. Pretty much they all have all your basic dos commands in alphabetical order and all the arguments the commands can use. Makes it a pretty simple learning curve. Something I wish I had found for linux or unix back in the day. On the bright side it does seem that the Corona system is PC-Compatible so it should be able to get ya going nicely. Who woulda thought a computer company would give up and just go to making beer.. j/k

Thanks for the welcome! I am very familiar with DOS, just to make sure I found an old PC DOS 6.30 hard disk and booted it up to practice. So this Corona computer comes with free beer or something? Or do I need a program for that? :D

I am looking forward to having something with all thru-hole components so that I have the possibility of repairing it myself. Now I've just got to hit up eBay again to get a 5.25" floppy drive for one of my desktops so I can burn disk images. This is gonna be awesome.

Regards,

Thomas

Back