• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Howdy!

cbc

Hey there,

My name is Clay Carley, and I live in Northern CA. I'm now in my mid 30's but have been around computers since I was 3 or so (Quasar QDP-80 I believe, with a very stylish for the time Adds terminal). My Dad being a computer science professor, has always encouraged me to work with computers. Of course, being in the early 80's, my Dad changed jobs a lot, and somewhere I have a flyer from Computerland, advertising the new IBM XT, as well as stating "Clay Carley III." as the new manager. I'm the 4th, by the way.

So I was brought here by searching for info on a new to me machine; an IBM AS/400e 2406-170 which I hope to get running and learn how to operate. I've got experience with DOS (PC and MS), (old) windows, and currently run Linux on my personal machines, but this is a whole 'nother ball of wax. In the late '90's, my Dad was working for a company who ran an AS/400, and his task was to get it to talk to a check scanning machine.

I've had fun in the past with some Digital machines, an AlphaServer 1200 and a Digital Personal Workstation 433. The 1200 sadly got recycled; it was a great machine but used about $30/month for power. I still have the DPW box, and am hoping to pass it on to someone who is interested in it.

Currently I work at a local ISP; Sonic.net in Santa Rosa, CA. Turns out we have at least one customer in our datacenter who runs an AS/400, and we have another customer who has a "spare" S/390 in an office suite here. I had the pleasure of being present when IBM delivered the S/390 and installed it.

Well I guess that's me; you can see in my profile that I have several other hobbies as well. Not sure how I have time for it all, but here in CA we make time I guess!

Clay

Welcome to the forums :) You're definitely right, it's a different beast when you get into these mainframe based technologies. I was thinking there was perhaps an as/400 emulator out there also to screw things up in but the one I'm thinking of was probably Hercules which from some quick googling looks like it does other OSes like os/390 or 360 (and MVS from what I recall running on it) but perhaps not 400.

Welcome aboard to the forums! I have a few products from ComputerLand. One of them is a 5.25 disk holder for my most important disks. That is very neat that your family has worked with vintage computers. (Or what we think of them now...)

Enjoy it here!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Indeed, it's odd for me to look through the Vintage section on ebay and see machines that I remember vividly as a youngster.

IBM PC Jr; man we spent hours on the wireless (IR) keyboard playing Jumpman! Maybe even Kings Quest?

Oh the Apple IIGS; we had one in a shop class connected to a CNC lathe. It was amazing to me how your chunky image on the screen would come out smooth in the lathe, LOL. Of course we moved to a Macintosh later on. Once the class had some time with that machine, we thought it was funny how when you put the icons in the trash can it grew... so we put all the icons in the trash can! That was about the end of that machine for a while.

Ian: I believe my Dad still has some of the 5 1/4" disk holders too!

Clay

I too thought it was neat that the trashcan grew fatter with all the icons you fed it. I was cautious enough to not recycle the Macintosh HD.

Back