• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Needed - Monochrome Monitor for IBM 5150

bettablue

Veteran Member
As the title suggests, I am in need of a monochrome display, but I need one on the cheap. (No, the display is not for my system) I have a customer in Southern California whose display has gotten so faded as to be almost completely unreadable. :( They actually use their 5150 on a daily basis as part of their daily business!

I know it's asking a lot, but if I can get something including shipping to zip code 91910 for about $50 to $75.00, that would be fantastic. :)

So, can anyone help out?

Whatcha got? :confused:

Unless you find something local, you are effectively asking for a free monitor (or close to it).

Before anybody considers this, what kind of business is this? I can see somebody being more willing to do this for a non-profit. Second, you say "customer". That implies a business relationship. Are you charging or not charging for your services?

I don't mind requests to help others but the nature of the arrangement needs to be clear up front. Somebody might be upset if they find out they let a piece of vintage equipment go for dirt cheap to a business that could have easily afforded to pay for it (including the cost of the middleman). People sourcing parts for a non-profit are probably going to be treated differently than resellers just looking to source cheap parts.

And regardless of this particular request, it needs to be made very clear up front.

Mike

Unless you find something local, you are effectively asking for a free monitor (or close to it).
Not necessarily. I just sent a green Taxan mono to someone for $25 plus shipping and shipping that item to sin city (or 91910) comes to about $30. So if I still had it I could send it to BB for $55 - $60. I don't think he's asking for a 5151. BTW, I have two 5151s that don't seem to work, IIRC. If anyone wants them just lemme know.

We can discuss the relative value of the item and the cost of shipping, but the overall point remains the same - if somebody is asking for something for a third party and they use words like "customer" then they should be more clear as to what the arrangement is. Reseller vs. hobbyist is an important distinction.

Mike

As the title suggests, I am in need of a monochrome display,

I assume you mean an MDA/Hercules monitor, as opposed to a monochrome composite monitor (used with a CGA card)?

Note that many 1990s word processors (which look like a typewriter with a CRT monitor next to it) used the MDA standard for the monitor. So if you see someone selling, giving away, or throwing out one of these word processors (by Brother, Smith Corona, and the like), you can grab it just to use the monitor it came with.

SC_Word_Processor.jpg

I understand your concerns mbbrutman. And just like I wouldn't expect a brand new never been opened monitor shipped all the way from New York, or Maine, I have seen some generic ones go pretty cheaply. And, as stone has offered here too, there are plenty of people out there who are glad to just help out.

In this case, I'm asking because I know my customer very well. They have been clients for quite some time; although usually with newer computers. They are not what I would call friends, and they do have a legitimate business. The fact that they choose to continue using their IBM 5150 as their primary system says two things here. And I hope this makes my point. 1. They aren't making a lot of money, and 2. they choose to continue using what they're comfortable with instead of just getting rid of it. Is it a good thing that they don't want to upgrade their procedures? Probably not, but I'm not going to judge them on that choice. They asked me if I could help them locate a monitor they could buy cheaply, and I found it by posting this thread. The forums did it's job.

I was lucky enough to find a generic green mono monitor in the San Diego area for only $25.00, (Which is what I was hoping for), and passed that info on to my customer. They went out and purchased the monitor yesterday in the late afternoon. It was because of this post that the monitor has a new home. Had the seller had not seen this post, he was going to throw it out, so two things were accomplished.

Finally, I would never expect to get something like a 5151, or anything high end for the price I mentioned. I may be a pain in someones side but I'm not stupid. If you look at the original post, I'm leaving it wide open as to what, if anything is out there. Personally, I see no harm in asking these kinds of questions. What better place than in this particular forum? I'm not trying to get anything for free. At the same time, why not ask? I'm certainly not making anything by doing so either. I already got paid for what I did. They just needed a monitor, and one where the text is readable. So, my customer got what they need, and a monitor that would have otherwise been tossed out was saved from a landfill? So what's the problem? (Not meaning to sound sarcastic here, sorry if it comes off as such) We have a wonderful tool at our disposal. That tool is these forums. If we can connect those who need, with those who have, again, I don't see an issue. We're all here to help, right?

Before anybody considers this, what kind of business is this? I can see somebody being more willing to do this for a non-profit. Second, you say "customer". That implies a business relationship. Are you charging or not charging for your services?

I don't mind requests to help others but the nature of the arrangement needs to be clear up front. Somebody might be upset if they find out they let a piece of vintage equipment go for dirt cheap to a business that could have easily afforded to pay for it (including the cost of the middleman). People sourcing parts for a non-profit are probably going to be treated differently than resellers just looking to source cheap parts.

And regardless of this particular request, it needs to be made very clear up front.

Mike

Nice thought! I'll keep this in mind if I need something similar in the future. Sadly though, Aren't we just saving one part of the setup and relegating the main processor/printer to the recyclers? I would think there would be at least some small interest in some of these word processors. The one pictured here is probably one of the nicer ones.

But to answer your question, this monitor would work just fine for what my customer needed.

I assume you mean an MDA/Hercules monitor, as opposed to a monochrome composite monitor (used with a CGA card)?

Note that many 1990s word processors (which look like a typewriter with a CRT monitor next to it) used the MDA standard for the monitor. So if you see someone selling, giving away, or throwing out one of these word processors (by Brother, Smith Corona, and the like), you can grab it just to use the monitor it came with.

SC_Word_Processor.jpg

Thomas,

This is a grey area. You are a frequent poster and are welcome here. However, you are asking for something "on the cheap" for a 3rd party that happens to be a business. And it is a relationship that you describe as "business only."

I look at a request that says "on the cheap" as equivalent to "please do me a favor." If a member here comes around looking for something on the cheap for personal use, I think that all of us are ok with that and you do that frequently enough. But when it is for a third party business that has only a business relationship with you, then I start to get uncomfortable with the request.

Lets try to keep the future requests for things "on the cheap" for personal use only.

Mike

Again, I seem to be the one who rubs the wrong way, but your request has been heard. I don't think you have anything to worry about there any way. After talking to them today, I think I have talked them into finally upgrading when something else breaks on their old IBMs. The funny part with them is that they have a 5150, a 5160, AND a 5170 that they purchased brand new. These computers have been in service for them ever since day one. I agree though, enough is enough.

Thomas,

This is a grey area. You are a frequent poster and are welcome here. However, you are asking for something "on the cheap" for a 3rd party that happens to be a business. And it is a relationship that you describe as "business only."

I look at a request that says "on the cheap" as equivalent to "please do me a favor." If a member here comes around looking for something on the cheap for personal use, I think that all of us are ok with that and you do that frequently enough. But when it is for a third party business that has only a business relationship with you, then I start to get uncomfortable with the request.

Lets try to keep the future requests for things "on the cheap" for personal use only.

Mike

Back