• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore Amiga 1000 no post

falter

Veteran Member
Hey guys,

I posted about this a long while back. I have an Amiga 1000. When you turn it on, you get a black screen with a think grey/white line up at the top of the screen.

Thought it might be the CPU, so I replaced that with a known good spare. No difference. I actually tried firing it up without the CPU in there to see if it behaved differently, it did not.. still black screen white white line.

Got an AGNUS chip of ebay. The original in the computer was R3.. this one is R5.. would that make a difference? Didn't change any of the behaviour.

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but since you make no mention of it here or in the old thread, I have to ask: Do you have a Kickstart disk, and if so, are you sure it's good?

It's been a very long time since I've powered on an Amiga 1000. That's sad, since I have one somewhere. I don't remember what the screen looks like before the kickstart disk loads, but I don't think it should be a single line at the top.

Do you get disk activity when you power it on?

It means something has gone really, really wrong. Amiga's will display different screen colors if there is a post issue. I had a similar issue in my 1000 - it needed the 68000 reseated. I would suggest picking up a cheap a500 and swap out the rest of the chips as only the agnus is different between the models.

It's been a very long time since I've powered on an Amiga 1000. That's sad, since I have one somewhere. I don't remember what the screen looks like before the kickstart disk loads, but I don't think it should be a single line at the top.

Do you get disk activity when you power it on?

The disk just runs indefinitely. No attempt to actually read anything. Kickstart disk is definitely good, it works in my other Amigas (I have a few).

Yeah.. only found two power supplies for sale on ebay... both $70+ shipping. Bit more than I want to pay to attempt a fix. All I can say about the power is the front case light lights up, the PSU fan runs, and that's about it.

Check the voltages coming off the PSU... both for DC to see if they're anywhere close to where they should be, and for AC to see how the ripple looks. Even if the PSU is toast, it wouldn't be too hard to repair it. They're pretty simple units.

Normally on a good A1000, it will do several things to let you know it's alive:

1. the power LED will blink bright and dim several times rapidly
2. It will play a few tones
3. It will display the hand requesting a Kickstart Disk.

Power supply would be my guess. You should get at least one color flash on the screen when it is checking the hardware. Have you tried re-seating the boot ROMs and every other socketed chip?

Back