• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mery Christmas

Merry Season all!

For me Christmas eve is the one. Having gotten in all the appropriate supplies and done some cleaning, I start the day (yesterday) with a walk down the old railway line, and bag myself a little tree. (It was easy, he was just standing there unsuspecting, when I snuck up on him with my saw. Ha!)

A tree with my own decorations and candles is really all it takes to mark the day for me, although I'd like more celebrations if possible. I don't drink but I got lots of Beaujolais and Brandy for those that do. Last night we had a couple of friends over and had a feast. Today it's just my wife getting phone calls from family - she's got lots of brothers and sisters (even parents!) and I have none of those. I think I'll go raid some boxes of chocolate to keep myself busy for the next 8 hours while she talks. :)

Same here--I invited a couple of friends to have at the woodlot with the condition that they could take anything that wa closer than 8 feet to anything else. Got a nice gift of cookies in return. Put up 2 small trees for ourselves--one outside with the really garish green LED string on it. My wife has been on the phone for a long time chatting with sibs and relatives. I'm not much of one for that.

One of our customers sent us 4 lbs. of chocolate truffles; my broker sent a couple more pounds. I'm sick of chocolate at this point.

Merry Christmas to all!

Like usual, we all woke up at 6:00am to open presents. It was fun with all the family over and listening to Christmas records. (May try to fix the 8-track player for next year.) The main thing I got was an Apple IIGS with all the manuals and ImageWriter printer. So far I have liked the little computer. I need to get a 5.25 drive for it, since most of my Apple II programs are on 5.25. I also got two rolls of Sweetarts and many more Lindt chocolate truffles. They are good, until you've eaten two bagfulls of them.

Happy something! Had some nice food with the family, and some gifts here and there. Wife bought me two funny/geek shirts (Cassette player to ipod "I am your father!" ipod:"Nooooooo!" which she liked, and a Bluth Banana stand shirt which cracks me up). Brother thought of something geeky for me and got me the useless machine.. He doesn't know a coworker has one so I've actually been thinking about it too funny enough.

There's a funny Jim Gaffigan clip about some of the odd holiday traditions we have here.

I had a good Xmas here in New Zealand with family and extended family. My oldest daughter Skyped over from the U.K. to join us during present-opening time. It's wonderful technology. It was just like she was there!

Being summer, we had our Xmas dinner (at 1pm) outside on our deck under the sun umbrella and shade from trees. Magic, although we did get a thunderstorm at 3pm. We'd finished eating by then though. It was the hottest day of the year. Temperature...30 deg Celcius!

Tez

Merry Christmas to all of you and have a happy New Year.

Didn't get any vintage computer stuff, but I almost won a TI-99/4. That would have been a nice present, but someone outbid me at the last minute. I'm not complaining though, I figured I wouldn't win it.

That's an interesting thing I rarely think about Terry. December being summer. In Austin, TX it was 69 for the high although my house for some reason was 79 inside which wasn't very comfortable. We did actually get a Texas winter low though (well it was supposed to be 27 for the low but I think it ended up being 32). A cold front came through overnight so today we have a colder day and high supposedly of 49 although it's already 49 so I think they missed their mark again. Then we'll be hovering around 60s again the rest of the week and lows above freezing. Not living here all my life it's odd every year not being that cold during the Winter. Our reward is turning off our AC units for the better part of the month.

That's an interesting thing I rarely think about Terry. December being summer....

Yes, Xmas is the start of summer holidays for most of us. I have experienced one Northern Hemisphere Xmas in Scotland. It was then that I appreciated the concept of Xmas lights. They do give a lot of cheer when it's dark and cold. :). Being mid-summer here, it doesn't get dark until about 9.30 and it's certainly not cold so their purpose is diminished.

Terry (Tez)

Bit cooler today. One thing I noticed Terry there don't seem to be the number of kids out and about on new bikes, scooters etc. Quite weird really. Maybe they all got smart phones for xmas.

Last edited:
Bit cooler today. One thing I noticed Terry there don't seem to be the number of kids out and about on new bikes, scooters etc. Quite weird really. Maybe they all got smart phones for xmas.

Yes, i suspect you're right. Those or tablets, or those remote controlled indoor helicopters (which are fun actually!). :)

Terry (Tez)

Back