• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello!

Arcady

Experienced Member
Hi. I've been spending a lot of time the last few months playing with a bunch of old Apple II stuff, and my Google searches kept ending up at this forum, so I thought I would join.

I have been a "home computer" user since the late 70's. I owned TRS-80, Atari, and Ti computers, but my favorite of the era was my Apple //e, which I still own. It was packed away for the last decade, and was recently discovered while I was looking for things to sell on eBay. Of course I did not sell it, but began to repair and enhance it. ADT Pro has helped me recover long-lost documents and programs, and discover new ones from the internet.

At this moment in my Apple II collection I have two //e's, a IIgs, and lots of drives, monitors, and cards. I have previously owned a B&H II, a //c and a couple of weird clones.

My next project is to restore my Macintosh IIfx, which at first try seems mostly operational. I also unearthed a Mac SE and a whole bunch of Nubus cards and old platinum cables for both Macs and Apple II's. There's also about 20 boxes of floppy disks to go through.

Hopefully I've come to the right place to meet and talk to others who like this old Apple stuff as much as I do.

Welcome and happy new year. I never touched Apple, but I've had home computers since about 1979 or so. All DEC or PC based though. Anyway, I a kinda newcomer here too, I've only been here a few months, and I've found it's a very pleasant community here.

An official welcome from me too! And happy new year.

I just recently got a IIGS system for Christmas. I'm still getting used to it, but I hope to get a few more things for it sometime. The ImageWriter II sure is noisy.

You've definitely came to the right place for vintage computers. The folks here are quite knowledgeable and hopefully help you in the IIfx restoration.

Welcome to the forums :) Great group here and glad to hear you got your baby back. Lots of Apple fans here as well as the rest of the crowd. It's neat that you were able to go through different vendors yourself. I'm curious if you remember some of the purchasing thoughts when you changed vendors at the time and what your primary use for them was a the time.

ADTPro is certainly a life saver to get things up and running again. Sounds like you're all set for most of your II series systems.

In the late 70's I was browsing in a Radio Shack store and saw the announcement for the Model I computer, so I bought a book on BASIC programming and after reading through it, I ordered the computer and couldn't wait for the actual computer to arrive. I played around with that system for a couple years before I decided that it couldn't do everything I wanted, so I found someone who wanted to trade a Bell & Howell Apple II for it. At the time, the B&H Apples were not really rare in my area, as a bunch of schools in the early 80's started upgrading to Apple /// and PC systems and got rid of the B&H and standard Apple II/II Plus machines. I used the B&H Apple II until 1983, when I sold it and bought a brand new Apple //e with a Monitor II. I kept the original B&H floppy drives for years, but eventually they failed and I traded them to guy who could repair them for a working DuoDisk drive. At the time I had no idea B&H stuff would become collectible. Anyway, the Apple //e system got stored away when I switched to the Mac platform in the late 80's.

As far as the Atari, TI, and other platforms: Over the years people would just give me old systems, so I owned Atari 400, 800, 1200 and a bunch of different TI systems. I always found them inferior to the Apple II stuff and would eventually give, trade or sell them.

I never really got into PC/Windows stuff until the 2000's and in fact I am at IT guy now, doing mostly XP/7 stuff, and I do own a few Windows 7 boxes, but I treat those things like appliances for getting work done. For computing enjoyment, I like my Macintoshes, Hackintoshes, and Apple II stuff.

Back