• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

9 Years Later ...

PhilJG

I was curious, for nostalgia, to find this forum again, and I was happy to find that my old log-in worked. Luckily, I have continued to use the same password storage program for over a decade. A search found that my last post was in Jan 2004! It was about efforts to obtain a Jupiter Ace, but I still have not managed to get one into my collection. I was glad to see that the forum was active. I was on the cctalk list back when Sellam Ismail went by the name of Sam, and it looks like I can resume my spot on the daily digest for that again too.

I live near Brisbane, Australia and I have a substantial collection, mostly on my main theme of "small home computers up to 1985" but with some other stuff that I found interesting, such as on the scientific applications of early small computers. Due to a house move, it is mostly all boxed up.

I have decided to change from acquisition mode to selling mode becuase it is almost impossible to fill in the gaps, at least without spending ridiculous amounts of money (I got most of my stuff for zilch up to some $10's), and the days of finding good stuff at garage sales and charity shops have long gone. None of my grown offspring (youngest is 30 now!) are the slightest bit interested in the stuff. If I kicked the bucket tonight, it would probably all go to the tip (Aussie word for the dump), and that would be a shame becuase I have some unusual stuff, as well as the common things. But before anyone gets too excited, I am going to pass many hours of my retirement time happily restoring things before putting them up for auction. Before the end of 2013, I hope to at least have sorted everything and catalogued it all and put up the info somewhere. There doesn't seem to be a need to hurry, because the value of what was unwanted junk 10-20 years ago, when I was doing most of my collecting, seems to keep going up, at least by what people are paying on eBay (ignoring what some are asking!). And I expect to keep a few prized items, like a ZX80, to display in my office.

Cheers
Phil

Welcome back to the communities :) Good luck with the inventory. On the bright side there are still lots of enthusiasts out there that will enjoy the gear as it's meant to be.

Welcome back! I too have no friends or family that are the least bit interested in vintage computing so I feel your pain. If you have truly rare items, you might think about donating them to a museum or something, but I suppose if someone is willing to pay top dollar for them, it will be going to a good home so that's good, too. Have fun cataloging your stuff. Would love to see pics of parts of your collection, even if its just a pile of computers in a storage unit.

On the bright side there are still lots of enthusiasts out there that will enjoy the gear as it's meant to be.
Though most collectors are "of a certain age", and some of us approach decline into unserviceability, there's also a trickle from new generations discovering the pleasures of collecting gadgets that you can actually fix (eg. the recent arrival on this forum of a 12 year old and some other <30s)

Rick

Yep it's good to see the ol' Vintage Computer Forum reach the status of Vintage itself, although it's appearance has changed a bit since those early days. :D

I haven't always been able to come around all the time, though it's been nice to be a part of the beginnings, however time has also played a role and now there's more discussion than ever before which is great cause I think in the early days there was another forum around which was well established, not sure what happened to it though, probably still going. :D

Welcome (or re-welcome) to the forums! Glad to have you back.

Many of us can have trouble getting the computers we really want sometimes. It always seems to be that when you're not looking for something, it's in plentiful amounts. When you do finally look for an item, it seems to disappear. (And not come back for a while.)

Back