• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

That relieving feeling of being outbid on eBay...

Pepinno

Veteran Member
Sometimes, you post a high bid for some item on eBay, and after the fact you then start having feelings of remorse... "I really don't need it", "It's too much to pay really", "It's going to eat up my time and I have other projects to tend to"...

And then, out of no-where, eBay tells you that you have just been outbid. A feeling of deep relieve ensues...

Have you had this happen to you?

Not realy, I underbid pretty much on everything looking for a deal. I get outbid all the time and still have packages arriving every week.

I have had that happen to me a couple of times. Both were things that I really wanted, but then I thought that I would not have really needed the items. I was somewhat relieved, but at the same time dissapointed because they were cool items.

Nope, never. I snipe all of my bidding and set my limit early on. If I decide in the intervening time that I don't want the thing or find a cheaper version, I just cancel my snope bid. Doesn't cost a thing and no nail-biting.

I never bid more than I am willing to/can afford to spend. Once in a while I get buyer's remorse but it usually goes away pretty quickly when the package arrives and I have something new to tinker with again! My biggest problem is that I buy lots locally so I now have a HW store in the house! IF I ever get the tiem I am going to sort and test and then have a flea market sale on the market place to get rid of it all!

I understand how you feel Pepinno. Saved by the bell. It hasn't happened to me because I generally only do "buy it now". Auctions only work for me when nobody else bids.

Unless the item is something that I really want to get or there's not another one of the item available, I just skip it and find the same item on a Buy it Now listing. It might cost a little more, but sometimes you can save with making an offer. (If it isn't rigged.)

Just so that Pepinno is not alone, I am prepared to admit that it has happened to me and also NOT happened to me:eek:, when I was new to ebay I did once or twice want something and bid a high price for it, then sat in fear that I would have to pay that price, I have had to pay for my mistakes so now I snipe, I do not know how to do automated sniping so I must be sitting at the computer when the auction ends, I frequently miss the end of an auction because i am also watching TV, but this saves me money:D

Bidding from Australia for items in the Americas or Europe, freight is a major consideration. I've recently bought a couple of small items for around $20 even though the sellers only offer USPS Priority International Flat Rate of $50. I could ship 20kg for that! It's not so much a case of buyers regret, but of cultivating the art of forgetting the inconvenient truth about the real cost. I only do it if the part is essential to restoring an otherwise good machine. Parts sometimes turn up from a local seller, but very rarely. :(

Rick

All right, when I said I had posted a "high bid", it was a 163 EUR bid, which to me is "high" as I usually am an eBay bottom feeder and I rarely go north of about 50 EUR or so. So it was a "high bid", if you know what I mean.

It's not for a vintage item, but it's computer related. Specifically, it's a subnotebook model "Acer Aspire One 721", a very nice almost-netbook machine with 2 GB RAM (upgradable to 4 GB RAM), an AMD Athlon II Neo K125 1,7GHz CPU (x64 capable), a 11.6" TFT screen which does 1366x768, ATI Radeon HD 4225 graphics, and it's two big pluses: HDMI output and just 1.4 Kg of weight.

My current laptop is a very nice, 2004-"vintage", 2.3 Kg weight, DELL Latitude D600 with a Centrino chip, a 1.6 GHz Pentium-M CPU (only 32bit capable), ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 graphics, and a 160 GB IDE 2.5" HDD. But it is not able to handle HD-video AVI/MKVs, and that bugs me somewhat... Other than that, I'm happy which my current laptop, and specially with its gorgeous 1400x1050 TFT!

But I must confess that the HD video capability and HDMI output of the Acer Aspire One 721 are very tempting...

(Note: this is not the actual eBay auction I took part in, but one from the same seller selling the same kit.)

It's funny how some eBay shoppers do not have a clear idea "a priori" of how much they are going to spend on an item they want. Here, shopper "h***c" spends the last 40 seconds of the auction raising his maximum two EUROS at a time, until the auction ends -- and he is eventually beaten by another shopper, "i***s", who posted his single maximum bid 5 minutes before the auction's end, and just waited for it to end.

ebay2b.png

This is a perfect example of an eBay shopper getting carried out by the heat of the auction, I can imagine the heart of "h***c" beating really fast those 40 seconds! :eek:nfire:

Yes it happened to me more than once!As about the Acer you wanted to bid I have its brother the Acer 521.It was one the most powerfull netbooks when appeared (and I think it still is).I bought it 2 years ago from ebay and I've never regretted it!

Sometimes, you post a high bid for some item on eBay, and after the fact you then start having feelings of remorse... "I really don't need it", "It's too much to pay really", "It's going to eat up my time and I have other projects to tend to"...

And then, out of no-where, eBay tells you that you have just been outbid. A feeling of deep relieve ensues...

Have you had this happen to you?

Maybe once or twice, then I got a grip on reality and started to set limits.

Yes it happened to me more than once!As about the Acer you wanted to bid I have its brother the Acer 521.It was one the most powerfull netbooks when appeared (and I think it still is).I bought it 2 years ago from ebay and I've never regretted it!

So, do you think about 170 EUROS is OK for a like-new Acer Aspire One 721?

This is a perfect example of an eBay shopper getting carried out by the heat of the auction, I can imagine the heart of "h***c" beating really fast those 40 seconds! :eek:nfire:

Or HC is an ahole and wanted to make sure the other guy paid a high price...

That would be a risky business for H***C, because he could have ended with the laptop himself, and at a high price!

Agreed. But he probably has an idea where these things sell and thats why he is only raising two dollars at a time. I always get concerned when I see someone bidding in this type of pattern (multiple/repeated small bids). My first thought is shill bidder, second thought is a-hole.

:rolleyes: Or, more likely, he isn't aware of how bidding on ebay works. I too used to bid like that for a long time. Then again, some people probably thinks I'm an "a-hole" so there is that. ;)

Back