• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epson EHT-400c drivers needed

Tiberian Fiend

Veteran Member
I bought one with a wiped hard drive, so I'm looking for the drivers for the touchscreen. I'd like to set up the system with Windows for Pen Computing 1.0, but I'll settle for the Windows 95 drivers if I have to.

Also looking for WPC 1.0 disk images (or the disks themselves, if not too expensive). I found the install files online, but they're in a lump and disorganized, so I have no idea what's supposed to go on which floppy.

I know this is old, but I bought an EHT-400C also, It works in Windows 95 but that OS is clearly not designed for it. I have Windows for Pen Computing 1.0 but the touchscreen doesn't work. Unless someone can point me to the actual touchscreen driver files for Windows 95 I MAY try to see if they magically work in Windows 3.1. So, Tiberian Fiend, i'm in the same boat as you right now have been for a while. Let me know if the hard drive dies I have a few. Not big ones but for the tablet and what its worth, fine. I love to use this machine to interface with stuff over serial.

Chuck, as I recall, those are the files for WPC2 itself, and don't contain the drivers. I tried contacting that owner through the link, and never heard back.

Doom, Terry Yager sent me a bunch of files that are supposed to have the drivers among them. I can e-mail them to you if you'd like to see if you can get them to work (I haven't bothered with them much).

Yeah i'll be more than happy to check those out, had mine since at least 2008 and have had no luck. I don't like Windows 95 on this thing. I sent you a PM with my information, Google Talk or Email would be more than welcome

Ubuntu One

Ubuntu One

Is there someone out there who would be willing to host these files?.

Try using Ubuntu One or a similar cloud source and link me the files, its like attaching shit but it doesn't actually attach those files, instead it provides me with a temporary download link I can download shit off your cloud. I used it to send early studio takes on some of my music to my father back home in NY (i'm working on my own albums.) I sent him lyrics files and MP3s that were too big for attach to email. So zip them up or send them as disk images idc but try that it may work. You should have my email.

I don't specifically know this model, so correct me if I am wrong, but weren't most early "Pentops" electromagnetic digitizers? Do you need a special powered stylus pen for this to work?

I only have experience with Fujitsu Stylistic 500 and 1000 models (similar Windows Pen era as OPs unit), and early through late model "XP Tablet" PCs (Like Compaq TC1000 and IBM/Lenovo X41 and X61 series) and all these used electrically "active" stylus pens.

I don't specifically know this model, so correct me if I am wrong, but weren't most early "Pentops" electromagnetic digitizers? Do you need a special powered stylus pen for this to work?

I only have experience with Fujitsu Stylistic 500 and 1000 models (similar Windows Pen era as OPs unit), and early through late model "XP Tablet" PCs (Like Compaq TC1000 and IBM/Lenovo X41 and X61 series) and all these used electrically "active" stylus pens.

My IBM 730T has a special pen but I have never figured out how/if it needs a battery of some sort. Out of curioctromagneticsity I have fiddled with it but am afraid I will break it. It has a switch of sorts that you touch when grabbing the pen so I guess it's electromagnetic or at least magnetic.

My IBM 730T has a special pen but I have never figured out how/if it needs a battery of some sort. Out of curioctromagneticsity I have fiddled with it but am afraid I will break it. It has a switch of sorts that you touch when grabbing the pen so I guess it's electromagnetic or at least magnetic.

The Stylistic and Compaq TC1000 pens had ends that screwed off for battery replacement (either stacked button batteries, stylistic, or AAAA in TC1000). The X41 and X61 pens are active, but do not have a replaceable battery, but replacement styli are only like $10 as opposed to the $75-100 cost for Stylistic and TC1000 Pens. I don't know if different frequencies are used or what, but the active styli are usually not interchangeable TC1000 pen wont work on Stylistic.

However Lenovo has kept their X series pens all interchangeable, original X41 stylus works on my new X220 tablet PC (which now has electro-magnetic stylus AND capacitive finger multitouch).

How to install Windows 95 (Windows for Pen Computing 2.0) on the EHT-400C? I have two of them, one with working Pen Computer 1.0 and one with error on Bios Screen (Press F2 too boot again)... I guess the HDD is empty!

What HDD can I build in? Any working CF to PCMCIA Adapters?

The hard disk is a Type III PCMCIA card, if you can find one. You'll either need the floppy drive made for the computer or you'll need to get a laptop that can boot from its PCMCIA slot to install Windows 95 on it. You'll also need the Windows 95 pen drivers. Please, save the current Win3.1 drivers for us before you go formatting anything, though.

The one with the BIOS Error has a defective HDD so I need a replacement, but I have an old Penium MMX Laptop with Windows 98 with which can create an Disk Image of the working System!

A CF adapter might work, but I have no experience with that. Let us know how it works if you try it. This is the exact hard disk, if that's what you want.

The drivers are the only software we don't have, but I'm not sure which ones are used to drive the pen hardware. The whole disk image would help, though, if that's what you can manage.

I have one of these that I installed a 1gb cf card with adapter with. Windows 95 (with a dos rom instead of a windows rom) but it boots and runs just fine.

And yes, it is a plain touch (any plastic stylus will do)

Thank you for doing that! We moved a couple of years ago, and in going through some boxes last week I came across the old Epson again, and it fires right up on AC power - but having backups is great.

Back