• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Real/32 Multiuser Dos

Caluser2000

Banned
Anyone used it or supported it on a regular basis? I'm getting a boxed set next week and am going to have a fiddle with it. From what I can gather it was/is primary used was in a POS enviroment. Also getting PC Dos 5.0 to add to the collection.

The disks arrived today it's version 7.9 on CDROM and 1.44k fds. Turns out its supports Fat 32(FDISK supports creation of fat32 partitions), drives bigger than 8 gig and built-in LS120/zip 100 support built-in. Seems it auto detects cdroms too on boot up, which I found curious, as long as it is APATI compatible but has it version of CDEX when in system fully is booted up. Comes with Adobe Acrobat Reader 1.0 for Dos as well as ABR for win 3.11 and win9x to read the user manuals.

Guest I should set a box up and give it a shot ;).

PC Dos is version 5.02 on 720k disks.

I should try Real/32. I can get disk images easy, and if it supports FAT32, could make life easy. Does anyone know if mTCP runs on it?

I use a program called Automenu. This is extremely easy to use. after simple programing of Automenu with any word processor and the menu choices will execute like batch files. When you setup Real32 with users, each user will come to a log on screen and after they log on they will go to a menu.

Welcome Pete. In what setting do you used Real/32 if you don't mind asking?

Just in the process of installing Real/32 on a no name K6 something clone.. On the first attempt the system hung on 13 progress bars formatting the drive, which for all I know might not be the best as it was scavenged from some cast off HPs sitting in a corner in an industrial setting. The PC could be flacky too. Second time lucky... It did not boot from the cdrom so used the first diskette to load the cdrom drivers. It tries a number of these. The third, the Fujitsu driver, worked on this box.

Formatting OK Now varifying there's no errors which would've probably showed up in the formatting process anyway. OK you got me, I just like seeing the progress bars run along the lower portion of the screen.

If you are familiar with DRDos you can see the similarities of the installation routine straight away. To be expected as it is a developement of DRIs Concurrent Dos. Obviously DRDos Fdisk never gave you the options of formatting the drive as FAT32 and it wasn't multi-user OS.

You get three installation options Real/32-Multi User, Real/32 Standard(can password protect files only( iirc DRDos 6.0 did this)and Windows 95/98 compatible. I selected the first option. Also installed the manuals, as well as the TCPIP/Internet extensions- more progress bars..................It's taking almost as long to install as RH 7.3 did on the same box and drive last night. That included X windows and Gnome.

Last edited:
System bombed on installing the network extensions from the cd for some reason. So rebooted, logged in and presented with the familiar c:\> I'll have to clean up a few things in the autoexec.bat , mconfig.sys and a few temp directories. Time to RTFMs to get a better idea how things are set out.

Thinking serious about getting a "dumb" terminal and having a play with that.

Thinking serious about getting a "dumb" terminal and having a play with that.

You don't need a terminal hook up com 1 to a pc and run a term program and it should do all you need to play
You will need to run the setup and add a driver to com1 for pcterm

It's a shame Real32 has fallen out of favour as it could do alot with very little hardware compared to other systems. The writers tried a step to far with RealNG which I believe is why it all failed in the end

4x4

Last edited:
I should try Real/32. I can get disk images easy, and if it supports FAT32, could make life easy. Does anyone know if mTCP runs on it?

You won't need mTCP if the version is new enough as it has networking built in
Biggest problem is finding a modern ethernet card it will recognize and use

I use a program called Automenu. This is extremely easy to use. after simple programing of Automenu with any word processor and the menu choices will execute like batch files. When you setup Real32 with users, each user will come to a log on screen and after they log on they will go to a menu.

Real32 is designed to work with it's own Office addon which provides security and menus which can be customised for each user

Well this is handy. I wos looking for an OS for an IBM industrial Computer that ws to be mocked up as a 9-track tape drive (complete with two working 9-track drives) but I couldn't find anything that could both support hardware like the Pertec controller, network, and multiport serial like DOS could.

If you use automenu then password is unnecessary. I have been using Real32 since DRdos late 80s. Are you familiar with net.cfg? This is the file to put the static IP address for the internet connection.

Yeah, I know post is a decade old BUT did anyone ever get this up and running? I am wondering what are the plus/minuses of this vs. say a DOS system with Desqview? Aside from being able to access the system through a dumb terminal that is? The LBA/FAT32 support is intriguing and I am wondering how good the built in LAN support is (i.e. can it replace MS Client?). TIA!

Back