• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Atari goes bankrupt (again)

How sad, but it is bittersweet for me. I remember back in the 1970s, that Atari leased a bunch of space on Moffet Park drive, while we (CDC) had the upper floor in the "Prudential building". A number of people dropped in their downstairs offices and asked about employment opportunities and were rebuffed with "We don't hire mainframe programmers." If only they knew that quite a few of those "mainframe programmers' went on to make good in the micro market. So they deserve it because of their narrow-mindedness.

I do remember Pong in its ugly plywood-cabinet version, but to me, the "Race Car" game was far more popular over at Andy Capp's. There wasn't a night that you could get close enough to get your quarter into the slot. I remeber Capp's mostly for its good soups.

It hasn't even really gone Bankrupt. Its a cynical move to separate Atari INC (The US business) from the loss making French parent Atari SA. Its cases like this that give chapter 11 a bad name.

It hasn't even really gone Bankrupt. Its a cynical move to separate Atari INC (The US business) from the loss making French parent Atari SA. Its cases like this that give chapter 11 a bad name.

Which is all smoke and mirrors, Atari SA isn't really a "French parent" anymore. Jim Wilson, President of Atari Inc. is also CEO of Atari SA, which he moved to Los Angeles several years ago. So he was basically looking to separate himself from himself. Which isn't going to happen now, Atari SA is claiming bankruptcy now as well and the entire thing - subsidiaries and all - is being liquidated.

cynical? You don't go bankrupt for spite. The American corporate structure allows for a company to split itself up so that the healthy portions can survive. There are people who have jobs at Atari who can keep them rather than everyone losing their jobs. My point is that this stuff happens, it's in the long term best interest of the owners and indirectly the employees to be able to cut off the bad parts in order to grow back the healthy parts another day.

Guess that's the end of Infogrames?

I couldn't understand as someone with an Atari 2600 & 7800 why they revamped some Console which looked like those other consoles with the games jammed in them, though I found out a while ago that that particular console was emulating the older games, god only knows what happened to the rights of the original game cartridges, guess their highly desirable now.

Didn't I read somewhere that the Atari bankruptcy was done / engineered / whatever so that the french part would live on?

How sad, but it is bittersweet for me. I remember back in the 1970s, that Atari leased a bunch of space on Moffet Park drive, while we (CDC) had the upper floor in the "Prudential building". A number of people dropped in their downstairs offices and asked about employment opportunities and were rebuffed with "We don't hire mainframe programmers." If only they knew that quite a few of those "mainframe programmers' went on to make good in the micro market. So they deserve it because of their narrow-mindedness.

I do remember Pong in its ugly plywood-cabinet version, but to me, the "Race Car" game was far more popular over at Andy Capp's. There wasn't a night that you could get close enough to get your quarter into the slot. I remeber Capp's mostly for its good soups.

You were there during that time??

Back