• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted IBM compatable/clone

josephdaniel

Experienced Member
I am currently looking for a IBM clone that I can BBS with and play some old games on and the odd programming project. I would like it to look similar to the IBM 5150 but im not pickey I just want a workking computer!:p

Why not locate a suitable computer locally using craigslist.com, no shipping and you can try before you buy. Your requirements are pretty general, you should be able to find something within 20 miles within the time it will take for someone to ship to you instead. Save your $$.
Bill

I have posted ads on craigslist MANY times before but if I get a reply its either a basket case, not what I am looking for or the owner thinks that their mid 90s Packard bell si worth 90 dollars.
The computer goodwill here in Austin had vintage computers often ( I got two functional mac + computers with disks keyboards and mice for 20.00 and a commodore 64 with a PS for 9.99) but it seems all they ever have in their vintage computing section now is laser printers from the late 90s. I suspect the computer museum next door swoops up everything they get there now.

sorry to hear that! Too bad you don't leave near me, I believe they're easier to find in my area. SOmetimes I forget regional differences.

I live near you and I never see anything of interest on Craigslist. Of course I check the South Jersey version. Which version do you see see all the good stuff on?

I've been trying to make friendly suggestions to them to get back in to the vintage computer market. Dunno if anything will be made of it. I'll keep an eye out for ya. What all do you have these days? I see you referenced a 386 and 486 a few months back, did those both fizzle out? Any idea of what speed or specs or specific game/apps you'd like to run?

I had a dell 386 that I never could get to work I had a friend with diffrent chips and a ps that I could use and it just wouldn't work. I also had a 486 running wfw and did 6.22 loaded full of old games but it was too fast for a lot of them one day I was useing it and some chips let out the magic smoke it was a pacerd bell and I suspect the powersupply fried it.
As far as what I want to run mostly games from the mid 80s like PAC man arkanoids word processing qbasic and a terminal emulator. I'm not picket at all as long as it has at least 5 expansion slots and has the IBM pc look with the black drive bays. In going to bid on that one on eBay though because it looks perfict for what I want to do!

I've been trying to make friendly suggestions to them to get back in to the vintage computer market. Dunno if anything will be made of it. I'll keep an eye out for ya. What all do you have these days? I see you referenced a 386 and 486 a few months back, did those both fizzle out? Any idea of what speed or specs or specific game/apps you'd like to run?
Actually I went there today and they had a IBM 5251 terminal for 60.00 wonder what one could do with that?

ha, so did I. Yeah it's been there a few weeks. I've been tossing the idea about posting about it here but never quite figured out other than being a twinax terminal if it was worth while. I think it's actually $50 but as-is, and goodwill as-is is ... well.. pretty iffy. They also had a TI-99/4a for $15 but I think it was missing a key and an Apple IIe that was missing a key but didn't have a price (which usually means if I show interest they take it off the shelf and send it back to management to get price checked). I bought a bunch of the ti-99 games. While they were $3 each (adds up quickly) I really haven't seen many boxed ones often.

Regarding the 5251 again, I haven't found that it's hackable or anything other than being exactly what it's supposed to be (a terminal for an as/400 type (or other twinax) of system). It caught my eye originally because it looked sorta like a System/23 or 5120 and I was hoping perhaps it had compatible parts but I haven't seen anyone indicate so.

I saw that apple I believe it was 15 or 20 dollars the price was on the side but I have no use for the two mac computers I have now so I didn't get it. I was there for about 30 minutes carrying around a gold atx power supply and thumbing through those TI games and the sata laptop drives.

Well I lost the auction but there is nothing I can do about it except really hope the buyer dosent pay but I highly doubt that will happen so I Guess I'm still looking for a clone anyone out there got one for sale possibly with just one fdd and no hdd?????

Also are the earlier pacard bells as in reliable as the ones from the late 90s? ( I learned a lot about computer repair from the two pacard bells I hav had but I don't have either anymore)

It still works fine -- and for a computer that's nearly 25 years old, that means it must be pretty reliable.

Back