• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED: 3.5" SCSI and 2.5" IDE (SUB Gig) HD's

atarimuseum

Experienced Member
Hi,

Have a friend who does repair work on older vintage computers and his stock of HD's is just about depleted and I am working out a trade with him, so I am looking for some quantities of HD's in 10 to 20 HD's each, must be in working and testing condition:

Sub 1GB Drives:

3.5" SCSI HD's

2.5" IDE HD's

Email me direct if you HD's and looking to either sell or trade for them and if trade, what are you looking for...

curt(AT)atarimuseum(DOT)com

Thanks, Curt

Web owner is smoking crack... I wouldnt pay more than $1-$5 for 40 to 80 and 120mb SCSI or IDE hd's

Sadly as "atarimuseum" has asked for PM's via e-mail I gues he isn't going to read this, however for others that stumble across this thread, SUB 1GB hard drives aer getting hard to find and several systems, including many Atari systems, some older DEC Vaxstations and some early PC scsi cards can't cope with drives larger than 1GB. So they are becomming a bit like ST125's or other small vintage drives, rare and expensive, although they can be found still in ones and twos for around $50.

So if any one does have a stack of 10 they are going to be expensive, but not perhaps the proce asked for the Maxstore. The folks asking silly prices like that are hoping for some one who needs that exact disk for some kind of dedicated system.

There's a medical MRI machine that still uses the Maxtor 7345SR SCSI and that's kept the price for that model quite high.

I wouldn't bother. After he requested that I go through my stock of drives, I found a couple of 400 and 1 300MB Conner drives. Ran surface analysis on all three to make sure that they were okay. Asked for $15 each (old Conners have a special connector that some laptops need, in addition to the usual ones) and got nothing but crickets.

It would seem that the guy's looking for drives that are free or nearly so. It would have helped if he would have indicated what his price limit was. A sub 1GB IDE drive is pretty hard to come by nowadays, particularly one that shows no flaws.

Hi
I think you'll find that in general smaller capacity SCSI drives are becoming increasingly scarce. They are mechanical devices limited by the life of their coatings, bearings, and other components. The pool of small SCSI drives is drying up and that's why we started the S2I project two years ago as a bridge board from SCSI-1 to CF.

At the moment the S2I project is able to partially emulate an ST125N 20MB SCSI drive. Hopefully with some time and further debugging we can get it to more closely replicate the physical drive. During the most recent testing it is able to boot a PC with SCSI host into MS-DOS 3.3.

I am hopeful we can get the S2I board working well enough to stave off the inevitable loss of small physical SCSI-1 drives before the pool dries up completely.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

I guess what you are building with the S2I is a "mini SAN" so you should be able to carve up a larger drive into multiple sub-1GB drives for use with older computers.

Hi
Yes, that's right. With the proper firmware I don't see a reason why it should not be able to emulate multiple LUNs or drives or devices on the SCSI-1 chain. However that's not part of the initial project scope it may be added later. Right now the goals are quite modest. Basically emulate a small common SCSI-1 hard drive. Once we get that working then other devices may come into play.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

PS http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem-s2i

I wouldn't bother.

It would have helped if he would have indicated what his price limit was. A sub 1GB IDE drive is pretty hard to come by nowadays, particularly one that shows no flaws.
He did: $1-$5. I think he's the one smoking crack ;-)

Sadly as "atarimuseum" has asked for PM's via e-mail I gues he isn't going to read this, however for others that stumble across this thread, SUB 1GB hard drives aer getting hard to find and several systems, including many Atari systems, some older DEC Vaxstations and some early PC scsi cards can't cope with drives larger than 1GB. So they are becomming a bit like ST125's or other small vintage drives, rare and expensive, although they can be found still in ones and twos for around $50.

So if any one does have a stack of 10 they are going to be expensive, but not perhaps the proce asked for the Maxstore. The folks asking silly prices like that are hoping for some one who needs that exact disk for some kind of dedicated system.
One of the board's new members turned out to be just another deadbeat and a not too bright one at that! He asked me for my WD 170MB and 365MB drives and we agreed on a price of $25 for both. That's right... not $25 each... $25 for both! Then he started making one dumb excuse after another for not being able to access his PayPal account. I still have the drives. And I'm not too sorry that I do. :)

I've had some success using sg3_utils to soft resize a SCSI drive larger than 1GB down to the 1GB limit (2,097,152 or 0x200000 sectors), or smaller, for systems which only support the 6-byte CDB versions of the READ and WRITE commands, which limit the Logical Block Address to 21 bits.

http://sg.danny.cz/sg/sg3_utils.html

Example:
sg_format --resize --count=2097152 pd1

I believe all this effectively does is change the value that is returned in a READ CAPACITY command. It doesn't actually reformat the drive.

Not a solution in all scenarios, but does make my stack of 9GB drives more useful with some of the vintage systems I have.

Yep, they are hard to find without defects. Asking $1-5 each and checked for errors is kind of nuts, you can get 5-10 times that on ebay.

Yep, they are hard to find without defects. Asking $1-5 each and checked for errors is kind of nuts, you can get 5-10 times that on ebay.

I agree. You have to include the labor associated with the testing. I would not waste my time to sell a tested and working SCSI drive unless the sale kept pace with my hourly rate to test, list, and ship PLUS the cost-to-me of the HD itself. That's why you see 500Gb tested and working SCSI drives for $200+. Friend to friend sales are a different thing, I am talking commercial/retail.

I take that means no. :p I know it's not sub-GB and all, but...
I'm gonna take a stab at this, not being a mind reader. :) I'll guess that billdeg is thinking to himself... that's certainly a fair and enticing offer. I'd just love to get it. But what would I do with it? Stick it in the pile with other great stuff I already have and don't use? The wife already bitches with every new item I store in here. What are the odds that this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back? I'd better cool my jets and just say no. It's much safer. :)

Bill, how close did I come? :)

Back