• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My first 5160!

I redid everything and copyed my dos floppes to the drive and it boots! Then I made a new directory for my games and was able to copy everything to the hdd! ( I don't have much software just lotus 1-2-3 hangman and dos)

Ok so the async card is supposed to work in slot number 8 right? I moved mine over to number 8 to free up some room and it wouldn't work when i put it there so I moved it back and it works? Are there some special jumpers or drivers needed to use it in slot 8?

thanks modem7!
I have a few more questions
does anyone know where I can get a simple terminal emulator to build through basic that would be able to communicate through the serial port? I have no way to get any games/software on to the computer right now

Also as more of a novelty thing how fast would linix be with a 8 bit Ethernet adapter on the computer? I know arachine would be slower than death!

You won't be able to run linux on that since linux was originally designed on a 386. Once you get a terminal emulator on that you could connect to a linux box via ethernet or serial port and browse the web using Lynx (either on the 5160 or the Linux box, depending on how you do it). Right now I'm using a Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt but I'm probably going to get a raspberry pi since it's a bit faster and has more functionality.

I have no way to get any games/software on to the computer right now
By the photos, I can see that your floppy controller is the standard IBM one that was supplied in IBM 5150s and 5160s.
If you temporarily swap the connected 360K drive for a 1.44M one, you will be able to boot/read/write 720K sized diskettes in the 1.44M drive.
More details [here].

I will try that I didn't know these could recognize a 3.5 inch floppy drive.
Can a windows 7 computer recognize a 360k floppy drive? Because I was fooling around with the bios on my computer and under floppy options it has 360k 5.25 floppy drives listed! The mother board is only a few months old an Asus p6t and looking at their website it seems they even provide drivers that would work with dos or os/2

The BIOS may be able to accept 5.25 drives, but it's more of wheather the OS will recognize them. Windows 7 isn't going to work with 1.2mb or 360k 5.25 drives.

Windows 98 is going to work much better with 5.25 drives. Anything (maybe ME or 2000), but definitely 98 and under is a sure go with 5.25 drives.

You won't be able to run linux on that since linux was originally designed on a 386. Once you get a terminal emulator on that you could connect to a linux box via ethernet or serial port and browse the web using Lynx (either on the 5160 or the Linux box, depending on how you do it). Right now I'm using a Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt but I'm probably going to get a raspberry pi since it's a bit faster and has more functionality.
If I understand you correctly you are using a WiFi router re-purposed as a WiFi to Ethernet bridge then connects straight to your old computer with an Ethernet card? or does it go to a slightly newer computer where the data is exchanged through the parallel port using you old computer basically as a fancy monitor and keyboard?

If I understand you correctly you are using a WiFi router re-purposed as a WiFi to Ethernet bridge then connects straight to your old computer with an Ethernet card?

Yes, however since the router has dd-wrt (a linux distro for certain routers) on it and I added an SD card the router can do much more. I can telnet into the router and install games, server/client software, the lynx web browser etc. I've sort of gotten lynx to work on my 386 but running it from the router. Using a raspberry pi with my setup will give me access to a lot more software, mp3/internet radio playback and GPIO to play with.

You can skip all that though if you set up a newer computer with internet access and connect your 5160 to it. I think you use a null modem cable and set up a PPP server on the newer computer. Don't quote me on that but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMvFKDHh4WM This is relevant to what we're talking about. And I love the music. Some of the comments suggest that the browsing speed shouldn't be so slow so I don't know if it will be faster for you or not.

Yes, however since the router has dd-wrt (a linux distro for certain routers) on it and I added an SD card the router can do much more. I can telnet into the router and install games, server/client software, the lynx web browser etc. I've sort of gotten lynx to work on my 386 but running it from the router. Using a raspberry pi with my setup will give me access to a lot more software, mp3/internet radio playback and GPIO to play with.

hmmm
I have a few WiFi routers that are gathering dust since I moved to a bigger house and upgraded the router. I might do that if I can't get the parallel port to work on my modern computer (the card was never designed to have drivers that work with 64 bit computers).

By the photos, I can see that your floppy controller is the standard IBM one that was supplied in IBM 5150s and 5160s.
If you temporarily swap the connected 360K drive for a 1.44M one, you will be able to boot/read/write 720K sized diskettes in the 1.44M drive.
More details [here].

today I was messing around and decided to install a 3.5 inch floppy until I get a Ethernet card or some other way to data transfer setup. I have a few boxes of 720k floppy disks but when I format them the IBM will only format them to 354k does it not support larger disk sizes or is it just the drive I put in there?

today I was messing around and decided to install a 3.5 inch floppy until I get a Ethernet card or some other way to data transfer setup. I have a few boxes of 720k floppy disks but when I format them the IBM will only format them to 354k does it not support larger disk sizes or is it just the drive I put in there?
I format my 720K diskettes in Windows XP and in Windows 7 via the command prompt:
Windows XP ---> format a: t:80 /n:9
Windows 7 ---> format a: /f:720

Your 5160

If you still want to format via your 5160:

First, try the above two versions of the format command on your 5160. If you see error messages like "Parameters not supported" or "Invalid parameter", then use the following method.

DRIVER.SYS

Assuming that on your 5160, the file DRIVER.SYS is located in the C:\DOS directory, then add the following line to CONFIG.SYS:

DRIVER=C:\DOS\DRIVER.SYS /D:0 /F:2

When you reboot your 5160, you will probably see a line displayed that looks a lot like, "Loaded External Disk Driver for Drive D".

What you'll now find is that the 720K drive is accessible as either A: or D:
Drive A: is the direct route.
Drive D: is via the DRIVER.SYS driver ( configured for 720K operation because of the /F:2 )

If you now do a format of D: (simply "FORMAT D:" is enough), the diskette will format as 720K.

I got the disk formatted to 720k in windows can copied a single 500k exe file to the disk with about 200k free on the disk I put it in the XT and it claimed there were several files on the disk ( one file said it was from 1963!) all of the names were unreadable ASCII characters and symbols everything I try to type it in using the ASCII code in the back of the basic book but after each character the computer seemed to have a ghost hitting the enter key after every symbol???
anyone know how to avoid mangled file names?

If you are using a HD disk, make sure the second hole (not the write protect one) is covered - I'm thinking if the drive detects a HD disk it might be stepping the data rate up and confusing the XT's FDC.

Otherwise I have no idea.

Back