• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC Posture?

Why yes, LP2475w! Good catch. Color grading and response time was good enough for me to master a blu-ray on it.

16:10 is still an accepted pro resolution, you can still find those everywhere. You pay 2-5x more, but they do exist.

I use one of those articulated arms like they have in hospitals for monitors. I mounted it on the wall at the height I wanted to match the chair I use. I put a pull-out extension on the front for a model M keyboard. It's set up at the height that I can rest my elbows on the chair arms while typing. Also, the mouse is on a small pad just off the chair arm. I don't adjust the height of the keyboard/screen, but occasionally swing it around or in and out just for variety, or to make room for doing something. The mouse gets adjusted frequently, just for a little variety. The interesting thing about that kind of mouse setup, is it only needs to move around about half and inch in any direction. I've seen people with those huge Microsoft type mice moving their whole arms just to move the cursor. Apart from being humorous to watch, it is taking energy and time away from whatever task they are doing and they are limiting their performance.

To me, ergonomics is extremely important. Just like with flute playing (or violin for that matter), calculating every millimetre of movement that is needed to do each task is something worth setting up, and then practising how to do. Although there is no hours of practice involved in keyboard and mouse usage, the same principles still apply. Everything should be doable with minimal movements and stress. I realize that if you don't have post polio syndrome like I do, then you will be a lot more resilent and sitting up won't be a chore for you. Nevertheless, the stresses can still add up - as witnessed by perfectly healthy people getting carpal tunnel syndrome. I just laugh at them because they deserve what they get - they could have been less arrogant about their "toughness".

Anyway, all that detail aside, I take the approach of finding the chair that I like, and then building whatever it takes, to put the screen and input devices where they need to be. IOW, assume the preferred posture of all body parts, and then don't let the devices force any changes on you. Yes, I guess I take a somewhat arrogant approach. When it comes to a standoff between devices and me, I'm the one that makes the rules - not the other way around.

Good post, Ole. Try being a brass player for awhile and you soon discover the bearing that posture has on your breathing. Slouch and you can't breathe effectively. I hate chair arms because I'll occasionally rest my elbow on them and feel it all the next day.

When I discovered optical mice after having used the mechanical ball-type mouse, I became a believer there. I've used trackpads and trackballs also, but find that they're difficult for fine control.

Back