• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

found some 8088 stuff at goodwill. help identify.

It's definitely not a VGA card, so even if you equipped a VGA monitor with an adapter, without driver software you still might not see anything, since there's nothing to drive the 7220 on the card.

The 7220 cards might be called second-generation high-resolution card. I suppose you'd call the first generation of hi-res graphics, the IBM PGC (or PGA) which used its own 8088 onboard and could emulate a CGA.

The next generation of specialized high-res display adapters were the TI 34010 graphics processor-based ones or "TIGA" cards. Most had a basic VGA controller on them to handle ordinary stuff, but again, special software for the likes of AutoCAD or CADVance or a host of other packages was necessary for full operation.

so basicly without identify the card and finding the correct drivers this card could basicly be useless and not display anything?

Moving them over won't work because they're 64K chips and Bank 0 requires 256K as this is a 256K-640K board.

ah, so I would need bank 0 as well as 1 to be filled in order to boot? so if thats the case i need at least 2 more of those ram chips.

so basicly without identify the card and finding the correct drivers this card could basicly be useless and not display anything?
Just about. In theory, if you have a Multisync monitor or equivalent and are willing to try every possible combination of switches on the card, you might hit on a setting that actually displays. Note that even with a Multisync display, it is possible to have a mode the display won't handle which could result in damage. Use caution.

If the card was restricted to a single type of display, there would typically be stickers informing of the brand of card and the required monitor replete with warnings not to use anything else.

No, you only need Bank 0... but, as already stated above, it requires 256K chips, not 64K.

I see, now forgive my ignorence as boards this old are pretty much new territory to me.

there are 9 sockets in bank 0. they need filled with 256k chips. wouldnt that equel over 2mb ram? assuming you mean 256k total in bank 0 that would be 9 chips of 28.4k and i don't think they make those? i'm thinking i am way off on all this though.

Nine 256K chips are required because the chips are 1 bit wide and you need 8 bits wide plus one bit for parity. Don't worry about the technical mumbo jumbo. :) Just look for nine 256K chips.

Kb not KB :) 256Kbit each, 8 bits per byte so 8 chips gives you 256KB and the extra 'bits' from the 9th chip in each bank is used for parity / error detection.

18 x 41256 = 512KB with parity (put these in bank 0 and bank 1)
18 x 4164 = 128KB with parity (bank 2 and 3)

Total of 640KB

Edit: I hit submit just after Stone had posted, we're saying the same thing
Edit 2: all you NEED to do to see if it works, is 9 x 41256 chips in bank 0, judging by the markings on the motherboard bank 0 and bank 1 also support 4164 chips - so you might be able to move the chips from bank 3 to bank 0 just to see if it does anything - it should only need the first 16KB or 64KB of RAM to be working to attempt a POST.

Last edited:
I hit submit just after Stone had posted, we're saying the same thing
Not only the same thing but at the (exact) same time. :) I already know there's a wormhole between where I am and where MikeS is but that's only about five hundred miles. If there's also one between me and you -- that's over 8,000 miles! :)

If you had a CAD application, it was not unusual to have two displays--one, usually an MDA for handling text-based operation with the basic operating software and another, a high-resolution graphics display for doing the actual CAD work.

It made sense--remember that this was pre-Windows and a 4.77MHz can be terribly slow, particularly when handling high-resolution graphics.

If you had a CAD application, it was not unusual to have two displays--one, usually an MDA for handling text-based operation with the basic operating software and another, a high-resolution graphics display for doing the actual CAD work.

It made sense--remember that this was pre-Windows and a 4.77MHz can be terribly slow, particularly when handling high-resolution graphics.
Hey, are you in the right thread? :)

I saw one of those in action at a local expo/convention way back when. One of the first time I'd looked at a PC and I was blown away; imagine, one program driving two separate displays, and a crisp sharp graphics display at that!

The important thing is, of course, is to go back to the Goodwill and get the rest of the pile. :)

well, that was Friday. I'm sure after the weekend the stuff is all gone. i grabbed all the interesting stuff mostly. what was left was mostly those wierd ram cards we cant identify. there may have been another video card but i was in a hurry when i was there so i had to grab what i thought was most interesting and go.

I am on a bit of a roll though. went to a diffrent goodwill today that was close to me and found an origional TI99 zenith monitor for $1

Last edited:
I've visited my (Illinois) goodwill weekly for a decade and never found anything decent. I don't know where you guys find these things :)

well, I used to live in the Pittsburgh area and I had 2 maybe 3 goodwills within reasonable distance from me. I found some decent stuff at those but it was mostly software. since i've moved to the pheonix area I find vintage computer hardware all the time. i think it has to do with a few factors, first is the population is many times greater then from my home area and theres literally a dozen goodwills/thrifts in driving distance. second is theres alot more tech industry here, at least that I can see such as Intel plants and Western Digital so I assume more computer savey people that bought this stuff at one time and are now dumping it at the local thrifts. lastly is the larger population here of older individuals of some finacial means who probibly bought this stuff new in the 80's and have decided its taking up to much closet space.

The irony is I wanted a vintage TI99 monitor for a long time to complete my ti99 setup but could never find one and now that I did find one my setup is in storage 2k miles away. :(

Maybe it varies regionally, but at least around here in NJ, the Goodwill stores stopped selling computers quite a few years ago (maybe even a decade ago). The only computer-related items I've ever found at them are a few boxed Apple II games. The electronics department usually consists of broken clock radios, hair dryers, curling irons, and overpriced audio and video components (who would pay $39.99 for a used DVD player with no remote, when you can buy a brand new one for $20?).

The electronics department usually consists of broken clock radios, hair dryers, curling irons, and overpriced audio and video components (who would pay $39.99 for a used DVD player with no remote, when you can buy a brand new one for $20?).

Don't forget the bumper crop of VHS machines and Epson inkjets next to the golf clubs....

Goodwill used to sell computers around here. I think around 2005 the policy changed. Thankfully we have other thrift stores around here that sell computer stuff at reasonable prices. The local Goodwill only moves stuff on half price days.

Back