• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Collecting newer obsolete but not that common stuff

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
Lately I have been snagging some newer stuff thats not too common. I won a socket 939 AMD system (socket 754 and AM2 seem to have been around forever but the 939 kind of came and went). Also snagged a Athlon 2 processor setup (Athlon MPs don't seem too common). The MP has a AGP Pro 110 slot which was used mostly for old CAD cards.

Anybody else bother with this kind of stuff?

I don't have as much interest in it as I do in older stuff, but I do have a pretty nice Athlon system that was my Morrowind box until I got a newer machine for that. Lately I've been trying to repurpose it to try some old Ensoniq cards, but I'm having a hell of a time getting Win98 to install on it, even though the board is supposed to support it...

I go for the same when I can find it cheap. I especially search for short lived exotic removable storage systems. Fascinating, fun, don't take up much room, generally affordable, and with a ready rationalization that I have it for support of someone that has disks but not drive.

I do keep around some of the oddball computer stuff, such as my main desktop I'll keep around for a while as it's an oddball nVidia chipset+Intel CPU board, and MediaGX laptop because, well, it's a MediaGX (and yes, it DOES suck).

On an odd note, I find Socket 939 a lot more common here than 754, but neither are as uncommon as Socket 940, which was used for processors like the original AMD FX chips and many Opteron processors.

I'm more interested in oddball accessories than newer but obsolete systems. I have a fair number of them I guess that aren't truly vintage but more from age than collecting. I suppose there could be a day where I'll be happy I kept them but not sure if they'll live to see that day either.

Last edited:
Socket 939 systems used to be pretty common around here, but I think a significant part of the reason you see more S754 and AM2 systems nowadays is simply that they turned out to be more reliable long-term. It wasn't anything wrong with S939 itself, but most of the OEM 939 systems used those Geforce 6100/6150 motherboards, which had major problems with cracking solder joints... I had a flood of dead ones come through a couple years ago, and I haven't seen a single one since. OTOH, S754 systems usually had Via-based boards, and AM2 (the later ones at least) moved onto the Geforce 7050/7100.

Socket 8 is fairly uncommon and so is slot 2 for that matter, well I suppose since we are talking about mass produced equipement here, uncommon is a local phenomea due to deployment which thus will vary.
GL and happy hunting!

Slot-2 being for the original XEON processor correct? Never had one of those either and they were probably not that common new.

I've still got a stack of Intel Engineering prototype servers, from 3 or 4 generations ago.
1 and 2 u systems.

I still haven't been able to get myself to throw them out.

Later,
dabone

Owning stuff like an Octane, O2 and Origin 2000 keep me searching for XIO cards and OpenGL cards for PCI and AGP. I find myself starting to run modern games on my main system which uses DirectX and run the older games like Quake and Half-Life on whatever dul proc + beefy OpenGL video card systems I can build.

Back