• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

3D Accelerators - 486 / P1 (75 - 100 MHZ)

Smack2k

Veteran Member
Are there any good reasons to get a 3d Accelerator for either of these machine types:

486 DX (up to 128 MB RAM (overkill, I know)

P1 (75 - 100 mHZ) (also up to 128 MB of RAM if needed)

If so, what are a few good ones to look for? I have the 2D cards already for them..but want to add more graphically if I can, or if its even worth it!

Thanks,

I wouldn't bother with a system slower then a P-166mmx, early accelerators were CPU dependant.

My opinion: It's only worth putting accelerators into Pentiums or higher, and only a 3d/fx voodoo until you get to Pentium III or faster. 486s and lower can't really run the kinds of games that benefited from acceleration (and it's hard to find a 486 with a PCI slot anyway).

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the 486 after I typed that earlier post..

But for my PII (233) and other machines I have the cards I need.

For my P1 (75 or 100 MHZ), I have a 4 MB TSENG Card, but was curious what kind of 3D card would go in here. Even if not needed for most games, I enjoy putting the most into each model I can, just for the hell of it!

Was just looking into that one..

What were the CPU / tech requiements for:

Diamond Monster 3D (Voodoo 1)

Matrox Mystique

Can find them...find 100's of articles about them and opinions of them, but no actual specs on what is needed to run them! Even Stason doesnt mention that...

As a matter of fact, where is a good place to get actual requirements for cards (Processor Minimums / RAM Minimums / etc...) seems like a pain in the ass to find them for these older cards...

Last edited:
Readme files of driver disks might have some info along with the original boxes. Also do google searches for reviews of the card (if they are still online) and search magazines as well (matrox did some advertising for their early game cards).

The wiki shows this: The retail version of Mystique included 3 3D game titles, including: MechWarrior 2 Mystique edition, Destruction Derby 2, and Scorched Planet.[2]

There were quite a few Mechwarrior 2 released for different video cards.

AFAIK there was only one VLB 3D accelerator. 3D Blaster VLB. Didn't get very good reviews, sold poorly, and so is now very rare.

However there is one for sale on ebay now if you have very deep pockets...

Once I hit the lottery...its mine!!

Ha ha....thanks for the info...looks like the Pentium 1 will be staying 2D for a while while the P2's and higher run the 3D!

I have a couple of Monster 3Ds with the disks. The reason that you're not finding any system requirements for them is because Diamond didn't publish any. PCI slot, DOS 6, and Windows 95 is it. Even in the manual on the driver disk.

The VLB 3D card looks cool to have, but kind of pointless (unless it works in one of those rare VLB Pentium systems). I wonder how well it works as a DOS game card.

So far, this is what I am gonna go with from what I have:

486DX - TSENG ET4000 (2 MB RAM)

Pentium 1 (100 MHZ) - ATI Mach64 GT (3DXpression)

Thoughts?

Back