• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where to find Windows 98/95 drivers?

cardinaluk

I have just bought a Gateway 750 PIII 750Mhz Desktop PC (bought in 1999 originally).
I'm going to create a dedicated Win98 or 95 machine to add to my collection so I would like to know where to acquire drivers for the machine. I know its possible by getting drivers for the motherboard, gfx card individually but does anyone know of a repository which deals in them?

Cheers,

Tom

Agreed on the 98SE--a big improvement over 95. Drivers shouldn't be hard to come by--at least I've had few problems.

Sometimes you can be surprised. I stuck in a Linksys WMP54GS (the "Speed Boost" version) card in a 98SE. I loaded the drivers from the standard CD, even though it said "XP and above" and the card worked fine. The "minidriver" code for some network cards appears to work on either.

Also, check out the Gateway website at support.gateway.com I was able to find drivers for my Pentium III system there so I suspect that if you know your exact model numbers you might find some as well. Search is not very good though.

Just stay away from Windows ME! Yuck

Well, I consider Me a more of a mixed bag. Some pros include many post 98 updates already included (eg \con\con fix, >64GB FDISK fix), better USB support including USB flash drive support, Win2000 like shell, etc... Some cons include no DOS mode support, etc...

Back