• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another L40SX and a 5170.

jdulac

Experienced Member
I picked up another L40SX for $10 yesterday on eBAy!!! I did pay a lot for shipping ($40) but well worth it to me at $50. No power supply but I can use the one I have to see if this thing boots. I really think these things are going to increase in value as the years go on. Its pretty fascinating that they were able to produce a laptop of this size 23 years ago. I can't imagine that there is too many around. Anyone know what they retailed for when they came out?

Also picked up my first 286 from my ecycling. Its a 5170. It powers up but I have no monochrome monitor to test anything else. I may just throw it out on eBay as I have way too many other projects. I picked it up for $5 so I hoping to make a bit of a profit on that one.

Nice finds! The 5170 is a good one, especially for that price. You could take out the monochrome card and throw a VGA card in it to see if it powers up and gets as far as a prompt. Did it come with any "extra exciting" cards or just the stock configuration?

I will post some pics tomorrow. I think the power supply may be shot as I tried to boot it tonight and the fan starts to turn but stops. I believe the monochrome connection is built into the processor card. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There's not a processor card here - the 286 chip is on-board, unless perhaps you have an ISA processor upgrade card like the Inboard 386, Sota 386i, etc. As always, pix would help us id parts for you - look forward to seeing them!

On this machine there is a motherboard card. I did not pull it out and examine it closer. Let me know what I have. I can take more pictures tonight if that helps with the identification.

This machine isn't a 5170 anymore. Looks like someone replaced the motherboard. It looks like a 386sx board but it's hard to tell with all the cables in the way. I think there was a member on here looking for a 5170 case at some point.

Edit: actually it looks like that case is pretty beat-up, especially in the back by the expansion slots...

Yeah... the case is beat, and would take some major TLC to make it nice again :(

Also, clone 386 board, as others have said. It could still be a decent system, but from a value standpoint, it's probably worth more in parts than as a whole system. From a collector's standpoint, it needs a LOT of TLC and restoration of a 5170 MB in there to be of value.

Thanks for the responses. I figured it wasn't the original since I could not figure out how the speaker and power indicators would plug in. If there is any interest I would definitely be interested in parting out if there is any value. I can take the individual cards out and take pictures.

Actually the case isn't as bad as it may look. The only part that is bad is the back which I took the picture of.

Ok, I already had a couple request so it will be parted out. Let me know if you are interested in any piece. I can ship no problem. My ebay account is f1sh-0n if you want to check my feedback on there.

Does anyone know what the first card is? Everything will be available for sale. I will be testing the 5 1/4 to see if it still works. RAM, Cards, etc. The power supple is fried but anything else.

FWIW, Y2K and the 528MB barrier have absolutely nothing to do with eachother. Neither is this firmware a 'hardware-based DDO'. It *does* support LBA whereas a DDO is a software solution for a BIOS that does not.

The point was to say that whatever you write to the BIOS determines it's functionality. Heck, one could mod it just to write "Hi" on the screen. Hence it adds what functionality you want it to.

Back