• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Having issues with ftp

josephdaniel

Experienced Member
I finally fiured out out to work the ftp server/downloader in mtcp on my 5160 but I can't seem to find a simple ftp server for windows that I can use locally that works, everything I have tried is either way above me or I just can't get it to work at all? Does anyone have a certain ftp server program that they like to use that's compatible with windows 7 64 bit?

If you want help you are going to have to be more descriptive.

If you are using mTCP on the DOS machine, any filename that you wish to transfer has to be a legal DOS filename. That is the 8.3 filename.extension format, with only characters that are legal for DOS. Long filenames, spaces, etc. are not legal.

Here is what's happening say for example I try to copy this bobcat-->some files here with another sub-directory-->rest of files located here it gives me the error
skipping /bobcat/example/example because it is not a valid file name
but even if there is a file in the root with a normal valid name such as newuser.bat it gives this error
skipping /bobcat/new user.bat because it is not a valid file name
I will post a picture in just a minit

What, Mike--no "name mangling" routines? Linux Samba has some that you might want to look at, if you're at a loss.

Chuck,

You make me giggle at times. After writing and debugging close to 40,000 lines of code, some of it very complex and almost all of it standards compliant, I think I can figure out how to do long file name support if I want to. There are even libraries to enable it.

I want something that works universally on DOS, from version 2.1 up to emulated versions like DOSBox. 8.3 filenames are appropriate for DOS, whether as a client or a server.

I don't get too many bug reports or requests. LFN support has only shown up once or twice over the years.

Are there spaces in the file names or paths? That may break a dos application which wouldn't allow a space in a file or directory. I haven't used Mike's suite before (want to though, but never found a cheap enough nic for 8-bit machines .. yeah cheap means cheap lol I've been holding out for something <$10) but does it do a lot of that friendly stuff for you like switching to binary mode, etc?

You may want to read up on ftp commands. The RFC is the geek manifesto of the protocol. Pretty much the folks who came up with different protocols are saying here's how it should work, here are the supported commands, etc. Handy to know if you're doing things by hand. So you can do "dir" just like in dos a lot of times although it's really translating the command to "LIST". The commands start at section 4.1 if you want to jump past the technical/networking specific stuff.

You can also test the server with your regular command line ftp.exe on a newer system to make sure it's working as expected also. It may not be subject to the dos file naming standard which could be the problem but if it still doesn't work on the newer ftp.exe client you may be running into an unsupported command or not enough rights to access the files in your server directory.

Most (maybe not all) ftp clients allow you to get a remote file and rename it as a local file. Linux ftp, for example uses get <remote file> <local file>. NCFTP uses get -z <remote file> <local-file>. Mike's ftp command may have its own syntax. There are corresponding command formats for "put".

Also note that some firewalls allow only "passive" ftp operations; there are commands to set that mode, e.g. "passive".

Most (maybe not all) ftp clients allow you to get a remote file and rename it as a local file. Linux ftp, for example uses get <remote file> <local file>. NCFTP uses get -z <remote file> <local-file>. Mike's ftp command may have its own syntax. There are corresponding command formats for "put".

Also note that some firewalls allow only "passive" ftp operations; there are commands to set that mode, e.g. "passive".

My FTP client supports having a local name that is different from the server name. Only the local name needs to be in 8.3 format.

That being said, there is a limitation/bug - it has to be in the current directory. I did not realize I had made this limitation and it's been like that since the beginning, and nobody has complained yet. But still, it is wrong so it will get fixed.

Mike

<snip>
I haven't used Mike's suite before (want to though, but never found a cheap enough nic for 8-bit machines .. yeah cheap means cheap lol I've been holding out for something <$10) but does it do a lot of that friendly stuff for you like switching to binary mode, etc?

<snip>

That is a shame because I have sold a few of my extra Xircom adapters recently for less than $15, which is above your price point but still dirt cheap compared to eBay. And I have posted about others on eBay that were in the cheap category too. I will keep you in mind the next time a 3C503 or a Xircom shows up and needs a home.

Mike

I have one more unusualish qquestion is it possible to tell the program to place the files downloaded via ftp into a certan folder e.g. a separate downloads folder?

Use the "lcd" command to change directory to that directory before you start? Or start the FTP program in the directory you want the files to be saved in?

This is all in the directions ... look for the ftp.txt file.

Back