• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

atx to at conversion

Elvi

Experienced Member
Is there anyway to convert a ATX powersupply to a AT one? not wired directly but add some sort of converter to one.
I have this Pentium MMX 233MHz system that could need a bigger one and the mobo doesn't have a atx plug + that the psu used has too few molex connectors to be really usefull, the system is allready packed with 3 hard drives, 1 cd drive, 1 floppy drive + some fans running on molex, it's my old games gaming rig btw :)
The psu used atm can put out up to 230w but id like to put in a 250w ATX if i could as i have some of them but the problem is the connection.
Also i know the ATX psu can't normaly be started without a atx mobo but a wire between the green and black wires does the trick so... that's the easy part.

Sure, there are even commercial versions of such an adapter.

41VOPMg06tL.jpg

Note that the black and green wires on this adapter go to a momentary-contact power pushbutton.

well theres nothing like that to find in my country and i generaly don't order from outside unless it's via a place here.
and eh that cable has 3 at plugs..., i recognise the 2 first however, i guess no one has some shematic or closeup on how to build one of those + some duct tape ;)

I built one of these using an old motherboard ATX conector, cut AT power supply cables (from dead AT powersupply) and a £1.30 switch. It works great, powers all my AT boards, my JAMMA Arcade boards and because I also added JST-VL connectors it even works well with arcade boards like the Sega Naomi, Triforce, Chihiro and any other JAMMA-JVS board :)

I ordered one of those converters online - identical to the one pictured. They work well, I can attest. They also have converters in the other direction.

yeah i've looked at those converter, but with shipping, they would be like 15$ for once, which is kinda expensive for an adapter...but yeah, less expensive than buying a crap AT power supply, and using a good quality ATX on your AT board, and ENOUGH plugs, wattage and amps for your stuff as well! I only have a cheap 200W PSU on my P200MMX here and i don't want to use a Molex Y-splitter in fear or running out of juice or amp and killing it in the process.

But it's still 15$...i think i'm gonna wait till i can grab a higher wattage AT PSU for free from the museum, like i said before, they have so many parts there that they could probably afford to trade parts for parts, so i could give stuff to them and grab what i would need, they did told me they have plenty of AT PSUs, so it's at least that, but i would need 250W or 300W...and since i have an ATX case, luckily i have a switch on this power supply, so i can just switch it on and close the case back till i have to switch it off.

My friend to have a Naomi setup, and the PSU to look like a PC power supply, except there's a weird plug somewhere i think.

The third connector is for +3.3V--some HP P1-P2 motherboards, for example, use this for CPU power.

Given that the colors are standardized and the pinout of the ATX connector can be seen http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml]here, it should be child's play to build one yourself.

Sorry but the link returns a 'Requested Page Not Found pinouts'.

Anybody knows from where to buy these adapters?

Part of me wonders if there would be any profit in converting power supplies and selling them on eBay... I'd have to design myself a circuit to control the PS-ON line, presumably powered by the 5VSb line.

Has the supply of AT supplies dried up? Scrapper still talk about finding 486 machines so there must be AT supplies still around.

I just saw an AOpen AT power supply sell for $50 on ebay so I would say yes the supply is getting short. The reason I saw it is that I have one of these but stupid me cut the switch off when I took the computer apart. I guess it may still be worth something since most people will have the switch on their case but I don't know how to test it now. I have four wires plus the ground.

...I don't know how to test it now. I have four wires plus the ground.
Obviously, very carefully!

I stashed away a few Baby AT PSs ages ago in case my old IBM PCs go up in smoke. I knew they would eventually be in short supply.

Well I just got a 30 computers yesterday. I saw that one has an AT so I will have to test that one before I disassemble.

Back