• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OS/2 driver question

NeXT

Veteran Member
I'm unsure which version of OS/2 will behave best on my Thinkpad 380D. I have both Warp 3 (recommends a 486) and Warp 4 (recommends a Pentium and probably uses the MMX extensions) and Lenovo still has the drivers available for download but they don't say which version of Warp they will work with. Is it safe to assume that the drivers are compatible with both?

Last edited:
Drivers should work with both. I never encountered any that worked with Warp 3 but not Warp 4. Use Warp 4 if you can; it was mostly bugfixes to Warp 3 plus the addon connectivity, speech, and bundled Java. 380D might be a little slow for the speech recognition but everything else Warp 4 offers should work.

Okay, I'll give that a try.
Would you by chance know where to get images of the pre-CD boot floppies? Mine seem to have gone missing for Warp 4.

I'm fairly certain you will also have to recreate the disk 0 (aka Install disk) which is not part of the updates at Lenovo. The XDFCOPY.EXE included on the OS/2 CD-ROM works on DOS and there are several other tools that will write out the IBM DSK image format to a diskette.

Everything you wanted to know about installing OS/2 Warp 4 and were too afraid to ask http://asavage.dyndns.org/OS2/Warp4Install/Warp4Install.html

I'm fairly certain you will also have to recreate the disk 0 (aka Install disk) which is not part of the updates at Lenovo. The XDFCOPY.EXE included on the OS/2 CD-ROM works on DOS and there are several other tools that will write out the IBM DSK image format to a diskette.
Correct.

Last edited:
I ended up writing disk 0 from the CD image and wrote disks 1 and 2 from lenovo's updated downloads. This produced a useable three disk set and the install is now happily churning away.

Cool. My old desktop set up ended up with FP14 on it as well as Xworkplace shell and the scitech display docter driver. For some reason FP15 wouldn't play nice.

Attachments

• OS2_MARK.jpg
    OS2_MARK.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back