• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Transferring files from DOS 6.22 laptop to Windows 95 PC?

PC-7000

Hi :) I have an old DOS 6.22 laptop and I want to transfer files from it's hard drive to a Windows 95 PC but it's really bad and doesn't even have a floppy drive... So how do I transfer the files? I have Interlnk and Intersvr on the laptop and it looks like a software to transfer files but I really don't know how to use it... Anybody knows?

Do you have a file transfer cable? (serial null modem or special parallel cable)
You'll want one of those.

DOS->Win95 with interlnk http://www.kime.net/directcc/directcc31.htm
You will need to get interlnk.exe on to your Windows 95 machine (I'm assuming you have someway to do that), and you will need the cable.

Once you've got that done, I personally find it less hassle in the long run to just use FastLynx 2 or LapLink 3 because you don't need a device driver in config.sys.

Last edited:
Ya', but IIRC, Interlnk/Intersvr is part of DOS 6.xx and thus requires a DOS boot to function. I don't know if it will work for a DOS window under WIN95. Maybe DOSVER.COM will help.

According to that link to does - they used the DOS 6.22 version on Windows 95. I haven't tested it personally though.

Edit: sorry I misread, not in a DOS window, would be in MS DOS mode or interlnk.exe in CONFIG.SYS.

Last edited:
Did you run the WIN95 machine as the guest?

yea, win95 works fine as a guest. But server can only be started from DOS. That's sad, beause on my win95 machine I use NetDrive which mounts FTP as a virtual drive E: If intersvr.exe could be started under win95, this virtual drive E: could be also redirected to my XT machine giving it direct access to FTP!

yea, win95 works fine as a guest. But server can only be started from DOS. That's sad, beause on my win95 machine I use NetDrive which mounts FTP as a virtual drive E: If intersvr.exe could be started under win95, this virtual drive E: could be also redirected to my XT machine giving it direct access to FTP!
Well, then I guess it's time to come up with a reverse FTP program. You know, like a reverse mortgage. :)

Hi :) I have an old DOS 6.22 laptop and I want to transfer files from it's hard drive to a Windows 95 PC but it's really bad and doesn't even have a floppy drive... So how do I transfer the files? I have Interlnk and Intersvr on the laptop and it looks like a software to transfer files but I really don't know how to use it... Anybody knows?
Tutorial http://www.pcxt-micro.com/dos-interlink.html Take particular note of step g. ;)

Just don't make a boot disk and for the laptop obviously just add the appropriate lines to your hard startup files. A copy of interlink/intersrv is in a zip file on that page. Two more useful links http://www.easydos.com/intersvr.html and http://www.easydos.com/interlink.html

There are other threads on VCF that go into quite a lot of detail as well. What version of Windows 95? The early version only had Fat16 hdd support so you can probably use a Dos 6.x boot disk if you wanted to. Later versions had Fat32 support and you'll need an appropriate boot disk that supports Fat32. The only proviso seems to be intersvr has to be running on the Fat16 box as mentioned in Kens thread- http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?22725-INTERLNK-INTERSVR-running-under-DOS-3-3! Some other nice info provided by MikeS in that thread too.

What's the spec of the laptop and what other software is on it? Because of it's configuration it may well have other file transfer utils on it to play with.

Last edited:
By "it doesn't work under Win985", do you mean that it won't work even if you shut down to MS-DOS command prompt mode?

Do you have USB capabilities on either machine? You can also do the transfer old-school over a serial cable and a transfer program such as DSZ.

By "it doesn't work under Win985", do you mean that it won't work even if you shut down to MS-DOS command prompt mode?
It may have been a little unclear but our Russian friend summed it up:

The Interlnk client works fine in Win95/98 but of course it has to be in the config.sys; if it can't connect then it doesn't install the driver and use any memory, so you can leave it in even when you're not using it.

If you start the Intersvr server in W95/98 then Windows will automatically shut down and go into DOS mode for the duration and restart when you exit Intersvr.

But as usual, I'm not sure if we answered the OP's question, especially how to do a remote install, cables, etc. Hope he found the answer(s) he was looking for.

Last edited:
...and that's a problem?
Not for me, but it can be a little inconvenient.

For example, a similar RS-232 'network' exists for my Radio Shack M100:
The server end is loaded automatically in the background when Windows starts and the cable is always dangling from my desk lamp; when I want to transfer a file I just plug in the M100, activate the client (which happens to be in ROM) with a single key, and copy away...

But Bluetooth is starting to replace some of my cables; haven't tried it with Interlink yet though.

Back