• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can one make an IBM PS/2 use CF or SD cards?

Well I do have 1 follow-up.

Is there a limit to the drive capacity. I.e, the PS2 Model 70 will only recognize/operate a SCSI drive of no more than X capacity?

I will be running Windows for Work groups 3.11 and Dos 6.1

Thanks

Personally I'd have no concern over copyrights and patents in designing an MCA board. Does anyone have a tech ref for a PS/2?

that actually isn't what the seller claims to be; there are no active components (visible) at all. my guess is that it's just an adapter to some proprietary drive back plane of an IDE drive enclosure. The only thing SCSI about it is the SCA connector that has been repurposed. try plugging this into a SCSI back plane will probably fry something.

My model PS/2 25 has flash installed on it. XT-IDE, I love it. Not an MCA system though.

model25planar2.jpg~original

I have a Microtech SCSI card reader (CF/PCMCIA/SmartMedia), I have had it for YEARS, but I know they come up on ebay now and then for under $100, probably the cheapest way to connect a CF card up to SCSI bus. (I must note the only ones I see on ebay right now are VERY spendy, but they do come along reasonably priced now and then).

I got mine back about 2000ish when I got my first digi-cam, there were no other internal card readers back then other than the SCSI ones, and my camera had RS232 serial, not USB, so it was terribly slow to transfer images, got that SCSI card reader and never looked back ;-)

Since I no longer use it for my digi-cam (I have faster and more capable USB2 based internal card readers now) I have experimented with using it for SSD storage, it seems to work well for that, so long as you use QUALITY CF cards, and you terminate the SCSI chain with a proper "external" terminator if its the only device (my card reader HAS a term setting, however it doesn't seem to work if its alone on the bus).

Back