• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ARJ does not work on Windows 7 64. Any tips? WinZip & PKUNZIP are not compatible.

PeterNC

Veteran Member
ARJ does not work on Windows 7 64. Any tips? WinZip & PKUNZIP are not compatible. I used to run ARJ to copy data floppies in 1.44MB increments. I guess I could setup a LAN but that seems a little over the top. :shock:

Any suggestions? Thanks! :D

Thanks.

I also have a 32-BIT Windows 7 on another notebook so I will use that for now. :sleepy:

WinRAR claims to handle ARJ files (as well as

CAB
LZH
TAR
GZ and TAR.GZ
BZ2 and TAR.BZ2
ACE
UUE
JAR (Java Archive)
ISO (ISO9660 - CD image)
7Z
XZ
Z (Unix compress)

Also, check out ZipGenius, which can also open ARC files. There are still a few programs that can handle .LBR files as well (anyone remember those?)

I think its worth any one with 64-bit Windows-7 trying out DOSBOX, It is really usefull for those nasty DOS programs that won't run in 64-bit mode. In addition its much quicker to start than XP Mode or even XP under VMware View.

If your objective is just to make multi-part archives, WinRar is where it is at. You don't have to re-combine the files before opening the archive, you just open the first in the set and it is all there. That's what all the p0rn is distributed in. :cool:

I think its worth any one with 64-bit Windows-7 trying out DOSBOX, It is really usefull for those nasty DOS programs that won't run in 64-bit mode. In addition its much quicker to start than XP Mode or even XP under VMware View.
It's also great for those DOS programs/games that won't run in WIN32, either. :) And don't forget ProGammaX, the DOSBox frontend that automates and menutizes the whole operation. :)

Just remember that WinRAR is commercial software and as the licence says:-

This is a trial version of WinRAR archiver. Anyone may use it during a test period of 40 days.

PLEASE CAREFULLY READ THE LICENSE AGREEMENT BELOW BEFORE CONTINUING THE INSTALLATION PROCESS.

I also find it intrusive in a way that it shouldn't be.....

Note that the "trial period" extends (at least the last time I looked at it) on WinRAR only for the GUI interface. The command-line interface is not so encumbered.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! ARJ works great on Windows 7 32 so I am using that for now.

You solved the problem but I also use 7zip, got tired of bouncing around other applications (I used to use WinRAR) but 7zip supports so many formats including even opening up iso:
Packing / unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
Unpacking only: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR and Z.
files and being free and open source it's become a great toolbox app on newer systems.

Absolutely, 7-zip is the only extracter you need. Completely and utterly free and unencumbered, and supports every format you'd ever want. Peazip is another option that hits all the same bullet points, and has a GUI on Linux if you're into that.

The days where WinRar or WinZip were the best choices are long, long gone. Either of the two programs above outclass any commercial offering.

7 ZIP gets my vote - have used it successfully on all platforms Xp and up. Have WinRAR but don't use it - seems a little kludge to me. :eh:

Another nicety of the 7zip project is that it also has a command line (7z.exe) if you like command line or scripting things. Really I used to use WinRAR and pkzip/pkunzip but I guess maybe it was finally on Windows 7 64-bit where I had to get used to not using my 16-it CLI tools and finally started using 7z regularly. That and working with a lot of tar/gz/bz2 packages it made life simpler in the long run.

This evening I hooked up my 8530 8086 to my PS/VP 80486 with INTERLNK and INTERSRV. I can access the 80486 HDD from the 8086 as a regular HDD. I was able to play Silpheed without problems and now I am playing Civilization. I hope to get my LAPC-I soon so I can hook up the various period sound card(s) / modules and play with some cool tunes. MCGA is really cool BTW: obviously not EGA or VGA but that makes it really unique. :)

Back