• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIe died.

Lurch666

Experienced Member
Took my apple II to a retro show last weekend to show it off but being switched on all weekend has done it no good.
Now when I turn on all I get is this screen.

2013-10-17 12.14.14.jpg

I have re-seated all the socketed chips and swapped the ram chips about after reading other threads on this forum.
I presume this is NOT the diagnostic screen.
I figure I'm going to have to get a chip tester and go through all the chips to find the faulty ones but thought I would post a screenshot incase anyone else has had the same problem and knows of a solution.

Thanks dudes.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm not an Apple expert, but the first thing that came into my mind is some ROM become corrupt/unreadable. If you have the dump and ROM programmer, you might try to remove the EPROMs and compare data.

When it did switch on last time? You mentioned it was not working well.

Tried various reset combinations but no change.
Tried replacing the 6502-no change.
I have an eprom programmer now so I will check the applesoft rom.I have found an apple2e.rom image and I'm hoping it's the right one.

Tried various reset combinations but no change.
Tried replacing the 6502-no change.
I have an eprom programmer now so I will check the applesoft rom.I have found an apple2e.rom image and I'm hoping it's the right one.

Yes, I bet there are more versions of the system rom, but I'm sure the guys here have many different dumps available. :)

Put the applesoft rom into my eprom burner but I don't know what type of chip it is.I figure the number on it is an apple serial because it doesn't match any of the known ones in my eprom burner chip list.Any idea what type it is?
The number on it is 341-1035

EDIT:after putting the rom back in I tried the keyboard again and found that pressing ctrl-apple-reset I could sometimes get some extra random characters to appear on screen so then I tried the same key combo whilst turning on and got a screen of white and black vertical bars which return to the garbage screen I posted above when I release the keys.

Last edited:
Can you provide a photo of this chip? I assume it has no sticker on it you can remove covering some other lettering..

342-0134 etc. seem to be actual model number of the IC's. They are 2764 EPROMs. However, I don'get how they could actually become corrupt, as they don't have the "window" on them. Maybe the problem lies elsewhere. Anyway, checking the content won't hurt.

Here: (Very good site, with rom images for every chip)

http://www.applelogic.org/APPLEASICs.html

Also take a look around these two links (if you don't know them already):

Misc Rom images:
http://www.apple2.org.za/gswv/a2zin.../Archives/A2MiscROMimages/A2MiscROMimages.htm

Catalog of Roms, if you go up in the misc directory, there's a world of information:
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/hardware/misc/Apple II Common ROM Numbers.txt

Last edited:
OK I will admit I'm new to this eprom burner.Ive successfully burned an eprom for my coco disk cartridge but I'm having trouble reading this chip.There are loads of difference 2764's listed and I have tried a few (the main difference is voltage I tried 12.5,21 and 25 Volts) but each time when I compare the buffer I have just read from the chip it's different to the contents so it's not reading right.Am I doing anything wrong.
I've got the chip in the right place in the burner,I set the type of chip (2764),read from the chip to the buffer (Tried different speed settings) then compared the buffer to the chip and it never matches.

Well, I'm new to programmers, too. Mine has just arrived, and I'm starting to figure out how to work with these roms. I think the voltages you mentioned are too high, just to read from the chip. 12,5V is the programming voltage. 5V should be enough to read.

in the website I posted, there is a description available:

http://www.applelogic.org/files/UV2764.pdf

where it states:

A single 5V power supply is required in the read mode.

I figured the voltage wouldn't make any difference as that is only applied when programming the chip.I tried the different ones just to make sure.
Looking at the info about 2764's it says they are 8k X 8 where the apple rom is only 8K (or does it just ignore the other 7 sets of 8k?)

I don't understand what you mean: 8k x 8 means 64 kbits, so 8 kilobytes. Your Rom does have 8kb.

Your apple 2e has 2 ROM chips. In case you still get different readouts from one and the same chip you should check your programmer by reading several times a different ROM/EPROM. And if the problem persists you should look for another programmer or rapair this one. If not, most likely somehow that ROM of your apple is damaged.

I was thinking of trying that.I have burned an eprom previously and read the data back to verify it fine so maybe the rom has failed.Will check the other rom to see if I can read that one properly.
I'm off to Antwerp for a mate's 50'th birthday tomorrow so this will have to wait for a while.

Thanks for all the help & suggestions.Catch you all later.:thumbsup:

OK.Just tried the rom chip next to the system one and I read the data from the chip fine.Verified perfect so it looks like it might be the system rom.

Am I right in thinking if I get me a 2764 Eprom and burn the correct file to it it will be a drop in replacement for my faulty chip?

EDIT:Turns out I already have a 2764 (I got it for my trs-80 coco drive cartridge)blanked,burned the rom and:

My apple II LIVES AGAIN!!!!:D:D:D:D

Thanks again for all the helpful info and suggestions.

Last edited:
Hello, i have the same problem which my 2e Board.
I have replaced the EF ROM by an EPROM 2764.
EF - ROM version is 342-0303A. Then the version 342-0304A must be taken for the CD ROM! Otherwise, the board does not. With this ROM loading the Apple responds with "Apple / / e."
Best of luck.

Back