• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Digital Decwriter II

dvanaria

Experienced Member
Recently on Craigslist I found a wonderful deal on a Columbia Data Products MPC 1600 (the first IBM PC model 5150 clone). The guy had taken great care of the machine, having all the original boxes and manuals and software.

When I picked the Columbia up, I noticed what looked like a teletype in the corner of the garage and he said I could take it for free if I had room in my truck. It was a Digital Decwriter II. He said he was moving soon and had to get rid of it, and it would probably end up in the dump if I didn't take it.

The thing is huge (and extremely heavy) and I know nothing about it. The problem is, I have no space in my house to store it. Right now it's in my garage, and I thought the forum members here might know more about it, what it's worth, what I should do with it to make sure it goes to a good home. I think trying to sell it on eBay is out of the question, since it feels like it weighs 60 - 70 pounds. Maybe I should just offer it up on Craigslist?

Can anyone tell me more about it's rarity/value? Thanks in advance!
IMG_3781.jpgIMG_3782.jpgIMG_3783.jpg

Nice score! I would happily adopt it if it was much closer to me. It would make a good hard-copy console terminal for all sorts of DEC machines, I think.

Not sure about worth, but it's other name is an LA36, the predecessor to the LA100. (which looks nearly identical at first glance)

While I have an ASR-33 for sentimental reasons, it's the LA-100 that I usually think of associated with my favorite systems. It was the "Terminal To Have" back in the day... a variable format "Dot Matrix" printer. Your '36 isn't particularly fast, but it's pretty sexy. The LA100 added so many features (speed via faster hardware and bi-directional printing) it's my preference - but hey, the price was right!

I had a 36 once upon a time (lost in flood along with my first 11/05) and man-o-man you are right - it's a heavy beast! Mostly because it's so awkward to manage alone. (Casters are essential IMHO)

It didn't come with a paper tray or basket - did it?

Might want to make a separate deal if you did want to sell that.

It didn't come with a paper tray or basket, unfortunately.

I'm thinking about plugging it in and turning it on, just to see if it powers up, though not sure if that's a good idea...

...I'm thinking about plugging it in and turning it on, just to see if it powers up, though not sure if that's a good idea...
LOL - That's the eternal question, isn't it!

And it never goes away either.

If I find a source for baskets and trays for these, I'll keep you in mind. They used to be common INMAC items as well as the original DEC, but it's been years and years. Still, someone may have stock if you can find a number from an old catalog. (Anyone??) These printers were commonly used into the late 90's early 2000's because they were free-standing and handle wide paper very reliably - more so than modern counterparts.

Not sure about worth, but it's other name is an LA36, the predecessor to the LA120. (which looks nearly identical at first glance)

While I have an ASR-33 for sentimental reasons, it's the LA-120 that I usually think of associated with my favorite systems. It was the "Terminal To Have" back in the day... a variable format "Dot Matrix" printer. Your '36 isn't particularly fast, but it's pretty sexy. The LA120 added so many features (speed via faster hardware and bi-directional printing) it's my preference - but hey, the price was right!

I had a 36 once upon a time (lost in flood along with my first 11/05) and man-o-man you are right - it's a heavy beast! Mostly because it's so awkward to manage alone. (Casters are essential IMHO)

Corrected model numbers I meant in that post. (not sure where my head was at - Sorry)

The LA100 was a desktop printer.

There's an LA120 in this video and here.

This is an LA36 video and referred to here. (down the page)

Back