• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Free: Commodore SX-64, needs restoration

vwestlife

Veteran Member
My Electronics teacher in high school had two Commodore SX-64s. On the last day of school, he gave me the worse of the two. Its disk drive controller isn't working -- the drive just stays spinning with the red light on all the time -- but I unplugged the board and used it with an external floppy drive.

And for some reason it has a regular C64 ROM installed, instead of the SX-64 ROM, so you get the blue-on-blue text display which is difficult to read on the little 5-inch CRT. It also has various cosmetic faults, like one of the plastic trim strips on the side is missing, one of the keyboard latches is broken (but the other one still holds it OK -- and it DOES have the elusive keyboard cable!), and the little tab to help you open the door over the monitor controls is broken.

Nonetheless it was a working machine and I had hoped to troubleshoot the disk drive controller, until the last time I tried it a few years ago, when I discovered the keyboard wasn't working anymore. The keys were either not responding or typing out spurious characters. I tried opening it up and cleaning the contacts, but I still couldn't get it to work, so I gave up and put it back on the shelf. It probably needs new foam pads under the keys.

Since then it's just been gathering dust, and now I need to clear out some space, so I'd like to find a new home for it, hopefully with someone who has the interest and time to restore it to proper working order. Therefore I'm offering it free to the first taker. All you need is to pay for shipping.

I have a sx-64 as well that was given to me once upon a time. Its been awhile since i tried to mess with it but it just didn't work. i think it powered up but nothing on the screen. its in perfect cosmetic condition though. If I had a working one I could probably use the two to make a really nice clean working unit.

stick me in the lineup in case everyone else falls though. zip 15317

I guess it wasn't actually free to the first taker then!

It was free to the first person who took it.

When I offered it, I was thinking of saying "local pickup is preferred", but I thought such a common-sense logistical consideration would be implicit. I guess it wasn't, so next time I'll make it clear.

Personally I would have thought if someone was prepared to cover the cost of any packaging and shipping that their location wasn't of any importance.

Nevermind, whomever benefitted from it is very lucky.

Hi,

I like to thank vwstlife for the sx-64. I sent him a private message for the sx-64. I am willing to send you just the sx-64 without the keyboard and cable, but I have a copy cable for the sx-64 that I would include, no keyboard include. IF you still want it, just pay shipping and I will send it. I have being making deal here for a long time and truly in joy the experience; great people and never had a problem. I hope to see many of the users on this site at the Vintage Computer Festival East "9.1", April 4, 2014 at 10:00am in EDT.

Bobby

I appreciate the offer but, for obvious reasons, I am likely to struggle to find a keyboard and cable over here in the UK. I'm glad the machine has found a good home in your collection however, and I appreciate vwestlife and your generosity.

vwestlife - I'm sorry if I came over as a little critical. Things were just somewhat confusing and unclear.

Ok, but I do have a cable for the keyboard, not original. If you chance your mind? Have a nice week.

Bobby

Back