• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

On drive overlays and cloned images

Heh, I rolled my own driver for DOS back in the 80s when I began buying MFM drives with 1224 cylinders. (Most BIOSes only supported 1024, so the other 200 had to be gotten at some other way). I still have the code kicking around somehwere...

Would you mind fishing that code out for me? I'd be curious to take a look at it. Always found it neat when C64 hackers created their own drivers/enhancements for the 6502- I wasn't aware that the same thing (creating makeshift solutions to hardware limitations) was done for the IBM PC (aside from software companies looking to sell a product of course).

No, the DOS network redirector is invoked by "hooking" that all-purpose multiplex interrupt in DOS--INT 2FH and intercepting calls with AX=11xxH to your own code. The format of the data passed along by DOS is a bit higher level than at the DOS device-driver level.

Okay, but how does it know about the network? I.E. How does it communicate with your particular NIC, knows where the networked HDD is, etc.? That is the part I find confusing. It seems to my uneducated mind that you need some sort of driver/program that allows the redirector to communicate with your particular HW. Or am I totally missing something?

I think you're thinking that the "network redirector" facility in DOS is somehow inextricably linked to actual physical networks. All it provides is a "back door" if you will, into DOS's file system functionality. If you want to attach an actual network protocol to that with NICs, or other external interfaces, fine--you have to provide the details of the transport protocol and physical device drivers.

That's why, for example, under DOS, the physical device driver is loaded first (usually in CONFIG.SYS) and then the protocol layer is installed (usually at AUTOEXEC.BAT time) after DOS has been loaded. So, for example, you have an IDE/SCSI/whatever device driver for a CD-ROM, and then MSCDEX that ties into the device interface. It's MSCDEX that hooks into the DOS network redirector.

Okay, I am following you now (I think).

When I read this

If you use the network redirector model, you can put terabytes of drive storage accessible to DOS applications. Of course, a file can't be more than 2GB in length, but that's hardly an onerous restriction.

in your earlier post I thought you were saying you would have a terabytes of drive storage available on the network to DOS applications (e.g. from a NAS, or file server). However, I think what you were saying is that you would install a large ("terabyte") drive in the computer and provide access to it using the network redirector service instead of an overlay program like SpeedStor. Does that sound about right?

Well, that was the gist of the basic message.

With that being said, I have no problem talking to a couple of terabyte drives on a WinXP server using NetBEUI with a DOS system.

Are you using MS network client Chuck or something else? NetBEUI doesn't get mentioned that much but I've found it useful at times.

Wonder how the OP got on? Haven't heard back on progress good or bad yet.

On some of my older systems, yes, but that doesn't have anything to do with hosting big disks. I really have only two options--NetBEUI and ftp. I'm not aware of any other common protocols between old versions of DOS and modern gear.

Back