• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Urgent request need a ibm 8570 ps/2 computer in working condition

I'd hazard a guess you'd need to create the reference disk from the *.img file using a suitable program such as 7zip.

I also added a bit to my previous post.

Last edited:
Sorry, I hate to sound dumb. But I really lack the knowledge in the software side on this older stuff. The ref disk has a image file.

How do I acces it? Just try open it in a notepad or are they a program or is it once I transfer it to floppy it has it as single files.

Yeah the back up will have to wait for another time because I dont have a clue what its running on. Also its Sunday so I might wait till later today and try to get a battery for it before I fire it up

The reference disk should be named rf7080a ,the place you downloaded it from provided it in the img format, because of that you will need to write it to disk with a program that handles img files such as winimage, rawrite, etc.

BTW, I linked to the original IBM reference disk file in post #56 of this thread. It is an exe file that creates the reference disk to floppy automatically when run, that is how IBM released it. You will need a 1.44MB floppy to create the image.

The reference disk should be named rf7080a ,the place you downloaded it from provided it in the img format, because of that you will need to write it to disk with a program that handles img files such as winimage, rawrite, etc.

BTW, I linked to the original IBM reference disk file in post #56 of this thread. It is an exe file that creates the reference disk to floppy automatically when run, that is how IBM released it. You will need a 1.44MB floppy to create the image.
the link you provided didnt work i think url may be wrong, i will check it again
ok it worked today. thanks

There's obviously nothing wrong with the *.img file as modem7 obviously had a look at it. 7zip is free. Dealing with *.img files is something you're going to have to get use to dealing with older kit.

I think common sense would be to put the *.ADF file in the same location as all the other *.ADF files.

First determine the size of the hdd. Also you need to know if it is in fact running Dos/Windows. It could well be running OS/2. Making a backup of the design program of floppy should be a trivial exercise unless there's some weird protection scheme.

Backing up a 100meg plus hard drive to 1.44 disks isn't fun. A better option may be a parallel port zip drive. Another option is can do a parallel port file transfer to another using a file transfer program. modem7 has a copy of Laplink for dos on his site IIRC. Depending on the version of Dos there my also be tools already on the system you can use. Of course you can also aquire a MCA nic(with the correct *ADF of course) and transfer files that way. That's probably a better long term option. Look up mTCP(created by a member here) on this site and google. You can use use the FTP suite to transfer files to a more modern box for safe keeping. Another option with a nic is use MS Dos network client and NETBEUI to transfer files to an XP box(with the NETBEUI protocol installed obviously) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301041
ok thanks, i will save this for reference later if i attempt the back up

There's obviously nothing wrong with the *.img file as modem7 obviously had a look at it. 7zip is free.

oh no that file is fine i just didnt know how to access it. the only image files i usually deal in are burning them to dvd to make virtual desktops and rescues disk for virus cleaning, pulling data off damaged drives and such.

I know some people wonder about me on here lol. But where i am in 10 years there has never been a demand for this type of work in my area this is and will be probably the only time i work on a 1980s machine, so there has neve been a reason to learn it.

In my 10 years i have only work on a hand full of win 95 machines. my knowledge was in 98, win me, win 2000 not much though, lots of xp, vista, win7 and crappy win 8

I also do webdesign and hosting, seo, pay per click ad, networking, cnc machines, plasma machine, in a small town you have to know a lot of different things to make a living, not just selling and working on computers

Im the jack of all trades and a master at none lol

Last edited:
Word might get round that you're an 80s guru when you get this lot sorted.

BTW I've had absolutely no PS/2 or "industry" experiance ;) Still using XP even. Just hang out here for #$&ts and giggles.

Russ's link works fine.

Word might get round that you're an 80s guru when you get this lot sorted.

BTW I've had absolutely no PS/2 or "industry" experiance ;) Still using XP even. Just hang out here for #$&ts and giggles.

Russ's link works fine.

lol i doubt that, i remember when i was real young typing a whole book on a commador 64 to make a ball bounce across the screen and thought no way would i sit and do this all the time, then in 98 i left a fortune 100 company and said im going to buy a computer and day trade the market and hit it pretty good and locked myself in a room for years and learn how to fix my own computers while playing the market until 911 hit and got a big margin call and lost alot of profit and decided to open up my own computer business, now computers are dieing off because of smart phones and tablets so i went to work full time for one of my clients and run my computer business in the afternoon and weekends now, so my stress level is at its max now lol

yeah russ link is fine today last night it was coming up like a broken link

ok im getting the floppy drive in a hour and while i get it ready he is going to go get a battery

well even though you might not have the experiance you still have been a big help just like giving me the battery info and finding out it is a camera battery was a big help

Last edited:
ok i have the disk made and the new battery in so i am going to get it all setup and ready to fire up. it does have a scanner that they said needs to be plugged in so it will take me a few to get this big bulky thing setup oh the mouse how funny it does look,,,lol

oh it is a dos o/s and i have design disk that say o/s msdos on them and was wondering if it means it is the dos program the with design program and all on the same disk?

Houston engines firing
Houston we have a problem
fd engages for a couple seconds but not booting disk up
i hit f2 and said remove and press any key when i done that here is what come up
ok i have 1 list 2 run 3 load 4 save 5 cont 6 lpt1 7 tron 8 troff 9 key 0 screen

Last edited:
Could be a boot disk set up to run the design program and save the results for transfer to the production machinery. Post a pic. Some of the older hands here my even recognise the program.

It's dumped you to Basic I'd say.

Last edited:
20131027_140844.jpg
Could be a boot disk set up to run the design program and save the results for transfer to the production machinery. Post a pic. Some of the older hands here my even recognise the program.

It's dumped you to Basic screen I'd say.
you think i could stick ref disk in now and hit run or load?

Try a cleaning the drive heads. IBM decided in there wisdom to not provide dust flaps on them. Also PS/2 fdd drives a notorious for falling over due to bad capacitors as well.

Try a cleaning the drive heads. IBM decided in there wisdom to not provide dust flaps on them. Also PS/2 fdd drives a notorious for falling over due to bad capacitors as well.

yeah i read that too but the drive has never given a problem. i guess the answer im looking for is, does it automatic boot from fd or im i suppose to hit f2 to go to this screen and then put floppy in and press run or load or cont ?

Looks like fun. My understanding is it should boot straight off the reference disk. Try creating another. I'm off to walk the dog. Good luck.

Last edited:
Looks like fun. My understanding is it should boot straight off the reference disk. Try creating another.

thats what im doing. im on win 7 machine doing it, what should the format be on the floppy
i created a msdos start up disk i just dont know if it means a different msdos win 7 or for any computer, im feeling dumber and dumber lol trying another ref disk too.
well i manage to format the 1st floppy and unable to format the rest so far,,now i remember why i run away from floppies you might find a few out of 50 that work lol
well i found another good disk, the more sounds they make the better the disk lol
still no go i wonder if its becuase im creating this stuff on a win 7 64 machine i here the fd engaging and spinning then it kicks off and says remove disks or other media and press any key to restart

Last edited:
You could try XP mode or virtual PC I guess http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

A lot of folk here have whats called a tweener system- a 486-Pentium 1/2 or 3 class system with a few ISA slots to do tasks like this. A lot of us will avoid MCA systems-which have even been refered to as a product of the devil ;)

I'm surprised your emails and phone isn't running hot wanting a slice of the action/cash.

Last edited:
You could try XP mode or virtual PC I guess http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

A lot of folk here have whats called a tweener system- a 486-Pentium 1/2 or 3 class system with a few ISA slots to do tasks like this. A lot of us will avoid MCA systems-which have even been refered to as a product of the devil ;)

I'm surprised emails and phone isn't running hot wanting a slice of the action/cash.
i know you would think. i have it apart and i cleaned the head, and i can see it spinning the tape, so i think it might have to be done a least on a xp machine which i left at the company. might try that first or buy another drive, i really dont think its the drive though, because i would be seeing a disk error, becuase if i move the disk a little while its spinning i can make it throw a disk error
lol i been throwing p4 away for 5 to 6 years to recycle centers i know i dont have any 1 2 or 3s lol
if all im going to make is pennies on the dollar on old machines i would just go flip hamburgers lol
which i about knew when i was getting to the software side of this it was going to be a nightmare

ok when i put a disk in that the machine was supplied with, with the design program on it. i get a non -system disk or disk error reading so that leads me to believe the ref disk is where the problem is, i bet it is going to have to be created on a old computer

Last edited:
Have a look in some dumpsters. You never know you might get lucky.
If some one had a machine like this or close and a win 7 machine
And created the same thing and tried on there machine that would give us the answer for sure

Back