• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ugly MFM drive off fleabay??

framer

Veteran Member
OK I bit and bought a old ST-225 for 10 bucks and 3.95 shipping. It was shipped in a cardboard flat rate envelope. Thinking I wasted $14 I went home to check it out. It checked out perfect, not one bad sector on the drive...

How come ugly always works and perfect never works?

framer

You got MOFO lucky!

I once bought a vintage glass cup from some fool on evilbay, the damn thing arrived with cig butts in it, like wtf?

Anyhow, I take it into the bathroom to clean it, it slips out of my hand, and the 30 year old thing lasted all but 5 mins in my ownership O_O

Murder should be legal under certain circumstances.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're in need of suicide, not murder and the beauty in that is you can't be prosecuted if you're already dead! :)

You got MOFO lucky!

Anyhow, I take it into the bathroom to clean it, it slips out of my hand, and the 30 year old thing lasted all but 5 mins in my ownership O_O

I bought an IBM 5151 Monitor on EBAY this past year for something like $50 delivered from the Goodwill. (Figured I'd take a chance.) The thing arrives in a ripped cardboard box with some newspaper and a couple pieces of Styrofoam as padding. I pull it out of the box and it is mint... I hook it up to a 5150 PC and it works perfectly! Then I carry the monitor to put it in a safe place, and... you guessed it... I drop the darn thing and bust open the ventilation grill on the top of the monitor. Like Maxwell Smart would say... Missed it by THAT MUCH.

You got MOFO lucky!

I bought an IBM 5151 Monitor on EBAY this past year for something like $50 delivered from the Goodwill. (Figured I'd take a chance.) The thing arrives in a ripped cardboard box with some newspaper and a couple pieces of Styrofoam as padding. I pull it out of the box and it is mint... I hook it up to a 5150 PC and it works perfectly! Then I carry the monitor to put it in a safe place, and... you guessed it... I drop the darn thing and bust open the ventilation grill on the top of the monitor. Like Maxwell Smart would say... Missed it by THAT MUCH.

Picked up 2 MFM hdds and 2 360k floppy drives last night at Savers thrift for $4 a piece. I give the hdds about a 10% chance of working and the floppys slightly higher. There all ugly though so will see tommarow when I try testing.

The ST-225 is probably the most bulletproof hard drive in existance so it's no real surprise it was flawless.
I do believe I have only ever seen a grand total of ONE dead 225 which had fallen off a table and onto a concrete floor. Otherwise it's extremely hard to kill them.

Now there is a reason to commit suicide lol!!!

Back