• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is this an Apple II with II+ motherboard?

falter

Veteran Member
This auction just finished at $710, and I kind of kicked myself a little bit because it wasn't much more than I paid for this mystery A2 in France.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-II-no...e&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_5257wt_1105

However last night, for fun, I opened up my B&H and regular Apple II+ to see which mainboards were in them, and in looking at the link posted in the auction description for this "II, not +" -- the board looks pretty bang on similar to the one in my regular II+, right down to the white square up near the center of the slots with the numbers written and the 1979 copyright date.

https://picasaweb.google.com/EBayonly2008/AppleIIPlus#5944013851366641522

The actual motherboard part number is obscured by that card... just curious if someone bought themselves an upgraded Apple II without realizing it. I double checked but I don't see anything in the description that says 'Apple II+' board. I note in Picasa he has it as a II+. :)

I msged him to ask but never received a response. Purely curious.

Ahhh... I don't know why but when I view it it doesn't show that.

I guess the case alone holds a fair bit of value.

it is possible that RFI board is a service replacement. The original board may have failed over the years.
The remaining components of the system appears to be consistent with that of a II.

The power supply is gold-anodized, it should be silver on a ][ of that vintage. A serial number under 10000 is pretty nice however, and the keyboard looks to be original, a datanetics with the built-in encoder, not the separate encoder used later.

EDIT: Also, the motherboard has the Applesoft ROMs, not the original Integer BASIC ones.

I do have gold anodized power supplies that are date stamped 79, so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss that.
Over time most software titles required at autostart ROM, so it would not surprise me that even before the board replacement it was already upgraded to FP BASIC.

Back