• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How many computers do I need?

Dav1d

I am extremely new to vintage PC gaming. I would like to know how many PCs I need so that I am not limited to what libraries I want to collect from.

I'm aware I need an Apple 2/3, an Apple Macintosh, Texas Instruments TI-99, Commodore 64.

I want to set a table with all of my vintage PC and modern PCs.

That's a loaded question. I say "To each his/hers own." Some people have lots of room; others have little. Some have more of the "bug" than others. I only collect what I can "comfortably" store with four systems out at a time.

I think you underestimate how many different vintage platforms there are out there. There was a HUGE diversity of computing platforms in the 70s and 80s.

Just looking at one list: Apple II, Apple Macintosh, Atari, Commodore 64, DEC Rainbow, IBM PC, Kaypro II, NEC APC, NEC PC, Osborne, TI-99/4A, TI-Professional, TRS-80, TRS-80 Model III.

And within many families you have different, often incompatible models. Some games will run on only certain specific models within those families. For example a "TRS-80" game can be specific to the original TRS-80, Model II, Model III, Model 4, color computer, etc. Others programs may even require specific configurations of sound cards, graphic cards, and input devices for the best operation. For example, some "PC" games have the best sound only on a Tandy 1000. Others require a 386+, while others are incompatible with anything later than a PC XT

The combinations needed to run ALL games in ALL the universe is almost endless.

And that is not even getting in to dedicated game consoles!

I'd say start with one system type and get to know as much about it as possible, then as time/money permit move to another platform you have a liking for. In the interim you can use emulators until you aquire the "real thing? Also visit dedicated forums for the systems you would like.

It doesn't matter how many you decide, once you have a couple, you'll get a few more, then a few more....
I started with "oh I'd love a PC XT", and the last time I moved my collection it took multiple runs in a station wagon and the suspension bottomed out.

What Caluser has said is good advice too, pick one, and start with that :)

It depends on what your objective is. Collect just to have the physical machine (not running), collect to run the OS and programs, run to play games, run to work with peripheral devices, run to play with MIDI and so on. Good luck! :)

I just like to play games from the late 1980s through mid 1990s as nostalgia and MIDI / LAN that goes with that. For that purpose I currently own 8+ desktops. But I do not really collect as a "collector" would. :D

The original poster lists a whole slew of processor types. I don't know how large of a table you plan to use, but you're going to need a pretty big table to have any kind of room per system to play games. You sound like me in 1999. Now I have 50 or so shelving units full of computers plus the things too large for a shelf. Run now while you still have the chance.

I went through a lot of different vintage systems, trying to figure out what was the most fun to hack on. I've "mostly" settled on S-100, Ohio Scientific, and PDP-11 gear. Most of the machines in the in-between (a bit of everything) were played with, hacked on, fixed up to 100% operating condition, then sold when I decided I wasn't /that/ interested in them.

My collection is mainly geared towards gaming, and I've tried to limit it to significant gaming platforms. As ambiguous as that may be. Here's a good core collection before you start getting into the obscure, strange, or overly expensive:

Tandy 1000 series - for very early DOS games(King's Quest)
A 386DX/40 or 486- for early 1990s DOS games (Ultima VII)
Pentium II or III for late DOS era games(DOOM)

Apple IIgs - 99% compatible with the Apple II
Commodore 128 - compatible with C64, some games are improved (e.g. elite 128 speed hack)
Atari XL or XE - Star Raiders! MULE!
TRS-80 CoCo- Dungeons of Daggorath
TI-99/4a- Same video chip as the Colecovision. Parsec and munch man are classics.

Amiga 500- not as capable as the 1200, but cheaper and I'll just emulate AGA games.
Atari STFM- Mostly redundant with the Amiga, but I love checking out different ports. Great synth too.
Apple Macintosh SE/30- Best compact mac. The Fools Errand, Deja Vu, etc.

Here's a few more that aren't in my collection yet, or I wouldn't recommend:

BBC Micro- Original platform for Elite, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost.
ZX81- Lots of unique games on this platform, I'm still looking to pick one up eventually
Coleco Adam- Expensive, and I have a Colecovision already. Not a compelling buy for me.
Mattel Aquarius- Not expensive, but not really historically significant either.
TRS-80 model I and III- Expensive to get into, and very limited amount of titles.
VIC-20- Fair number of games, historically significant as the predecessor of the C64, but are there compelling exclusives?

I hope that gives you some good ideas. I'm sure I forgot something signficant, and I'm sure others will disagree with what I consider signficant. But that's a fun discussion to have.

Yup. Space will be your biggest limitation so there is no "how many" other than how many do you have the space to enjoy and how many will you use? Your list is probably fine. If I had the chance to do things again i probably would have stuck to a stricter collecting interest to keep the end result smaller. As it went I like toys and working on different things so anything a vintage system would pop up for cheap i'd usually grab it as that month or weeks project. The problem is you never have an end to the collection that way. While I'm happy and love the systems I have (and still have some on my want list) the space is definitely an issue and with lack of space becomes lack of work space/repair benches and less happy relatives or significant others :)

"Collecting leads to lack of space, lack of space leads to anger... anger leads to hate. and hate leads to suffering.." -Pretty sure it was Yoda.

"How many..." ? As many as you have room for. Otherwise just load emulators on an uberfast PC...

David,
I am grasping at straws here.....
Collecting to me is: the ability to recapture a youthful feeling, lost in time.
Your age usually dictates the age of the computer you invest your time with.
My first computer I got my hands on was a TRS80.
Do I have the desire to obtain one again? NO.
Most of the computers I want to mess with are newer faster better.
Most of the computers that sit aging are in piles, non assembled and most likely never going to be used again.
If someone else asked you this question and are hinting that you get rid of them, look closely to your personal space, and decide for yourself the number of systems.
Good luck with that.

I like the well-built sturdiness, steel, heavy plastic and "Machine" feel of the old systems. They have a much more industrial, clicky-keyboard, commercial-grade feeling than today's flimsy plastic, "Thin-Tin" computers. I like case styles like the 5170 and PS/2s, that's real machine to me.

IBM built the best machines in my opinion. The challenge with the IBM 5150/60/70 is performance. The challenge with the IBM PS/2 line-up is the MCA. Other than the 30 (8086/80286), 35 & 40 Models they do not have easily and cheaply available sound cards that can be installed for gaming. Additionally the proprietary FDDs, HDDs and PSUs are a PITA. :D

The IBM PS/ValuePoint line works a lot better in that regards but those are OEM parts with an IBM shell & logo only. :)

Talking about vintage gaming, I'd say you only need 3 computers:

1. Amiga 500 (or 1200, which is easier to upgrade)
2. Atari 800XL
3. Commodore 64 (or 128 )

Apple, TRS-80 and TI-99 weren't nearly as good for gaming. Early PC (as in IBM PC and clone) games were crap compared to the 3 computers above and later games are best run in DOSbox. (most don't require joysticks)

I'm only talking about gaming though. There are some wonderful early computers worth having, but they're not as good for games.

The IBM PS/ValuePoint line works a lot better in that regards but those are OEM parts with an IBM shell & logo only. :)
I've just been looking at the maintenance pdf for the ValuePoints and the mobo are similar in layout to the later PS/1 line mobos that were made in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if they shared the same components with just in a different outside case design, getting rid of that fragile flip down cover.

Last edited:
Also, you should consider a Sharp x68000.
It's very rare, but it was widely used for gaming and console emulation.
Also an Atari Abaq could be great, but it's even more rare.
Another thing to mention, the Teradrive, a PC/Megadrive hybrid discussed somewhere around the forum.

Yes, possibilities are endless: just get a beast and emulators: something like a Pentium 3 homebuilt tower with Uber SoundBlaster or MIDI device, NEC Multispin CD, a good video card with voodoo/opengl/direct3d, a 20 inch screen and such.

My collection has been many things...at first I just wanted ONE computer to do computer things, then it sort of exploded and had been everything from nostalgia, to historical (I was quite obsessed with the early Deskpro computers for awhile), to now just being performance and game focused. I find having a full time job, a wife, pets, and other obligations, anything more than three vintage PC's is a lot more work than I'm willing to put fourth as I more often than not now would rather be playing games and working with the PC rather than spending hours upon hours pulling out hardware and fixing this, tweaking that like in the old days, I've already done more than my fill of that. Now if I can just get some more room to set everything up where I'm not swapping it out every several months, that would be nice.

Back