• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Figuring out the proper motherboard for my Apple II

falter

Veteran Member
While awaiting delivery of an Apple II case I bought from France (with an apparently hand built board in it), I thought I should look around for a proper motherboard for it, as I've seen prices on those are quite reasonable.

The serial on the one I bought is A2S1-38495 (black and white sticker). I understand there isn't much definitive information on what revision boards went with which serial numbers, but I did stumble on this forum post:

http://www.techtalkz.com/apple/187741-apple-ii-iiplus-production-dates.html

Which suggests that probably the board in this case should be a Rev 4 board. Am I reading that right? Do any Apple experts in here agree?

The part that confuses me is that the Rev 04 board was apparently also used in the early II+ units. I'm curious as to what distinguishes a II and II+ technologically (apart from exterior and keyboard differences) if the motherboard is exactly the same. I want to make sure I don't end up with basically a II+ in a II case (although I know some were upgraded that way) I'm also hoping to clarify if Rev 04 still had integer BASIC?

Also does anyone know of any pictures or examples of the bare Apple II boards that Apple offered early in II production?

The earliest ][ pluses had rev. 3 boards in them. The only difference between a ][ and a ][ plus were the ROMs on the motherboard, aside from the case badge and labelling, for the models that were built at the same time (1979 onwards). Also, many Apple ][s were "upgraded" with the Applesoft/autostart ROMs, making them functionally equivalent (for the most part) to a ][ plus.

There's a rev. 4 motherboard on eBay at the moment. I agree that your ][ probably had a rev. 4 motherboard originally.

As for ROM compatibility, as far as I know you can install the Integer ROMs into an RFI/rev. D Apple ][ plus from 1983 and they'll work. Any ][/][ plus motherboard should support either set of ROMs.

The earliest ][ pluses had rev. 3 boards in them. The only difference between a ][ and a ][ plus were the ROMs on the motherboard, aside from the case badge and labelling, for the models that were built at the same time (1979 onwards). Also, many Apple ][s were "upgraded" with the Applesoft/autostart ROMs, making them functionally equivalent (for the most part) to a ][ plus.

There's a rev. 4 motherboard on eBay at the moment. I agree that your ][ probably had a rev. 4 motherboard originally.

As for ROM compatibility, as far as I know you can install the Integer ROMs into an RFI/rev. D Apple ][ plus from 1983 and they'll work. Any ][/][ plus motherboard should support either set of ROMs.

Yeah -- that board has the Applesoft ROMs. Kind of puts me on the fence because I'd prefer a board I could prove came from an actual II rather than II+. I know, I know.. silly, right. :)

Another thing I notice about the board on ebay -- they were running some kind of diagnostic and it self identified as an Apple II+ -- what hardware component allows the software to identify itself like that?

Another thing I notice about the board on ebay -- they were running some kind of diagnostic and it self identified as an Apple II+ -- what hardware component allows the software to identify itself like that?

Probably the Applesoft ROMs, it would ID as an Apple ][ with the Integer ROMs installed.

My apple ii is around the same serial number (I think 39,000 something), it has a rev 4 board with an apple rom card (one of the rom's on the motherboard is vacant). I was thinking about picking up that board on ebay myself as a backup as it seems reasonably priced.

Back