• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

M8203 (DMP-11) and M8207-RA (DMR-11)

tradde

Veteran Member
These two boards are in my 11/84. I am not really sure what they were used for.
I am guessing some sort of communications with a 2nd pdp-11?

DMC11 / DMR11 / DMP11 lore ...

DMC11 / DMR11 / DMP11 lore ...

Hi,

both DMP11 and DMR11 are synchronous serial adapters for use with e.g. DDCMP-DECnet (DECnet over serial lines).
Both were made from two boards each: (1) Communication Processor and (2) Line Unit.
Both share the same Line Unit: M8203

DMP11: M8207-YA Communication Processor / M8203 Line Unit
DMR11: M8207-RA Communication Processor / M8203 Line Unit

So what you've got is obviously a DMR11.

Now what is the difference between a DMR11 and a DMP11?

While the DMR11 was useful for point-to-point DDCMP networking only, the DMP11 could be used for DDCMP multipoint networking additionally, either as multipoint controller or as multipopint tributary.

The DMR11 is the enhanced successor model to the older DMC11 device.

Do you want to use your DMR-11? I'd like to have one! Where are you located?

Regards,

Ulli

Hi,

both DMP11 and DMR11 are synchronous serial adapters for use with e.g. DDCMP-DECnet (DECnet over serial lines).
Both were made from two boards each: (1) Communication Processor and (2) Line Unit.
Both share the same Line Unit: M8203

DMP11: M8207-YA Communication Processor / M8203 Line Unit
DMR11: M8207-RA Communication Processor / M8203 Line Unit

So what you've got is obviously a DMR11.

Now what is the difference between a DMR11 and a DMP11?

While the DMR11 was useful for point-to-point DDCMP networking only, the DMP11 could be used for DDCMP multipoint networking additionally, either as multipoint controller or as multipopint tributary.

The DMR11 is the enhanced successor model to the older DMC11 device.

Do you want to use your DMR-11? I'd like to have one! Where are you located?

Regards,

Ulli

Thanks for the extra info. I had gotten the basic info from the field guide as
supplied in the previous post. I never knew this system had this. I had
just assumed it was some type of serial card(s) for attaching more terminals.

To use it wouldn't I need something similar on the other end? I only have
one pdp-11 currently. Do I want to use it? No idea. I don't know what
I would use it for. I am in the US in Maryland.

Hi,

yes, you'd need a similar device (synchronous serial) at the other side. For using a remote connection (via telephone line) you'd need a synchronous modem, too.

Synchronous serial connections are rather rare nowadays - it was the "high speed" type of networking in the very early pre-Ethernet days ...

I've got a VAX-11/750 (still being restored), that I want to run with ancient versions of VMS (e.g. V1.x, V2.x and early V3.x) and DECnet of course.
DMC11 and DMR11 were the only network adapters supported from the very beginning of VMS.

Sadly there's the big pond between us (I live in Germany) so shipping would be rather expensive :-((

Regards,

Ulli

boot roms?

boot roms?

These two boards are in my 11/84. I am not really sure what they were used for.
I am guessing some sort of communications with a 2nd pdp-11?

dredging up an old thread. I was wondering if you could check to see if there are DDCMP boot roms in your machine
23-862A9
23-863A9
23-864A9

Not sure about these exact cards, but these might also be used the other way round. So rather than to connect other terminals to the 11, to allow the terminals attached to the 11 to connect to a larger machine , say a DEC-10 or IBM/370 or similar elsewhere. There are some pictures of a PDP/11 being used like this here:-

http://history.cs.ncl.ac.uk/anniversaries/40th/images/nunet2/index.html

when I worked at NERC http://www.nerc.ac.uk/ in the 1980s we made extensive use of PDP/11 connected with sync lines to our Honeywell Mainframe. We tended to use CAMAC interfaces but the principle is the same

dredging up an old thread. I was wondering if you could check to see if there are DDCMP boot roms in your machine
23-862A9
23-863A9
23-864A9
Where would I look? Nothing on either of these boards looks like a ROM of any type. Would they
be on the 11/84 CPU?

they would be on the M9312 bootstrap card
I do not appear to have a M9312 bootstrap card or any other bootstrap card. But I know
there must be somewhere as I can boot from DUx type devices. Maybe on the UDA50?
I haven't done much with this system since I moved years ago. So I don't know as much
about it as I might have.

23-862A9
23-863A9
23-864A9

I added the 23-862/3/4A9 Intel .hex images I had to my M9312 boot proms page, including Macro11 source and listing files.

These were easy to convert as I had some device image files. The others (XU,XW,XL) would need to be completely entered by hand, as I have never seen any device images for those parts.

See: http://www.ak6dn.dyndns.org/PDP-11/M9312/ down near the bottom of the table under the 'XM' device entry.

The images match the listings in the DEC M9312 boot ROM listing document.

Don

It is on the M7134 KT24 board then
I do not see one of those in my system.

The boards in this system include:
M8190 - processor
M8637 (2) - memory
M8191 - Q-bus to Unibus interface
M7521 - Not sure
M7485 - UDA50
M7486 - UDA50
Emulex UC17
M7258
Spectra Logic card (not sure what it is)
M8207 - DMR-11
M8203 - DMR-11
M9302 - bus terminator

So where would the boot ROMs hide?

Hi All;
Tradde, the Spectra Logic Board is Most likely a Disk and Tape Board, or it could be Just Disk or Just tape..
What is the Model number, Should be on one side or the other.. Next to the Spectra Logic Logo.. Like a 15/25 or a 21..
Most likely its a 21.. How many connector does it have on the top of the Board ?? And pin numbers.. If it is a Disk then there would be two gray (and two straight) 26 pin connectors and a 60 pin connector, If tape then two 50 pin connectors..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
These boot ROMs would not be used in your system. You have an integrated console/boot ROM on your CPU card. The discrete M9312 boot ROMs are not used.

The KT24 board would be used in conjunction with an 11/24 CPU card, which you do not have (you have a KDJ11 processor).

In any event I have now posted .hex ROM images for the 862/3/4 boot ROMs, and the associated SRC/LST files, on my M9312 web page.

They will not be very useful to you (nowhere to plug them in) unless you added an M9312 boot/terminator module to your system. However, I don't know if/how the M9312 would work in your configuration (my suspicion is not at all).

Don

Hi All;
Tradde, the Spectra Logic Board is Most likely a Disk and Tape Board, or it could be Just Disk or Just tape..
What is the Model number, Should be on one side or the other.. Next to the Spectra Logic Logo.. Like a 15/25 or a 21..
Most likely its a 21.. How many connector does it have on the top of the Board ?? And pin numbers..
THANK YOU Marty
I see no real model number. Just a part number. 4 25 pin connectors and
1 60 pin.

Hi All;
AK6DN, where is Your WEB Page ??
I have a 11/24 CPU Board but, nothing to put it in that I know of.. Or can I use an existing BackPlane ??
I have the PDP 11/04 BackPlane and I have a DD11-B that I have stripped ALL of its wires off of it.. Could I use this in slot One, for the 11/24 CPU Board ??
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Tradde, those 25 pin connectors that You see are actually 26 pin and the 60 pin which means You have a Disk Only Board.. How many rows of fingers do you see, four sets which make it for a QBus machine or 6 sets which make it a UniBus ?? If it is a UniBus then, in the upper right hand Corner it should say Spectra Logic Corp Spectra 21 or something like that.. Since, I don't think I have a 15/25 Board which is for the QBus, I can't say where to look for that model number..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
AK6DN, where is Your WEB Page ??
Look back at post #12 in this thread, it is listed there.

I have a 11/24 CPU Board but, nothing to put it in that I know of.. Or can I use an existing BackPlane ??
I have the PDP 11/04 BackPlane and I have a DD11-B that I have stripped ALL of its wires off of it.. Could I use this in slot One, for the 11/24 CPU Board ??
THANK YOU Marty
All the 11/24 systems I am familiar with (one!) have a dedicated 9-slot 11/24 system backplane. CPU in slot one, UNIBUS map option in slot 2, 4 memory slots, and 3 standard SPC/MUD slots.

I don't know if a the 11/24 CPU module will work in the 11/04 system backplane (DD11-PK). You would have to check all the prints and docs for compatibility/usage, unless someone else knows the real answer.

Don

Back