• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I chickened out

falter

Veteran Member
I came very close to topping this, but decided not to at the last second as I did not have safe shelter from my wife. :) Also, the seller did not answer a single query. It certainly appears legit, with the worn off paint, correct color slots, etcetera.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Apple-...NYwjtA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_2316wt_1362

I recall that one prior (was it a rev 0?) that screamed up past $8100 and then mysteriously disappeared (removed entirely -- I still have the item number but it doesn't work).

I might keep my powder dry and await the next one.. seems to be an A2S1 bonanza lately. I recall a time when it was hard to find even one with months of searching. But I'd always assumed the Rev 0s were in the 5 figure range now -- am I wrong, or did this lady just pick a lousy time (right before Christmas) to auction something like this?

lmao @lack of safe shelter!

Not sure about the revs but my IMO I've seen them but since they've all sky rocketed in price no interest in completing my Apple collection at this point ;-) I'm happy enough with the plus being the oldest then having others I can actually easily use and run everything on.

Were you in those last bids? I think you did the right thing. Folks that don't answer my questions ahead of auctions make me nervous too and I tend to keep that as a minimum requirement unless I'm doing some barrel scraping auctions for crap I don't care about. Either way, I really don't see any reason that original IIs should sell for this much in the last 2-3 years. Prior they were overpriced but never over $1000.

lmao @lack of safe shelter!

Not sure about the revs but my IMO I've seen them but since they've all sky rocketed in price no interest in completing my Apple collection at this point ;-) I'm happy enough with the plus being the oldest then having others I can actually easily usend run everything on.

Were you in those last bids? I think you did the right thing. Folks that don't answer my questions ahead of auctions make me nervous too and I tend to keep that as a minimum requirement unless I'm doing some barrel scraping auctions for crap I don't care about. Either way, I really don't see any reason that original IIs should sell for this much in the last 2-3 years. Prior they were overpriced but never over $1000.

I was set up for around $1700 but it went beyond that too quickly. I don't get these sellers that don't answer msgs! I bought a II case for $600 (with someones home built apple ii board in there), figuring if i can locate a II motherboard for a couple hundred or less and a psu i should be well below $1k. Once i have that, I just need a IIgs and a III+ and I'm complete. But i do feel the allure of the early IIs with the painted cases, etc. That eats at me. Just not quite enough to drop $3000 on... yet.

I think you did the right thing. It took me around 3 years to find an original Apple II in the wild, but it happened, you just have to keep looking and not pay these insane eBay prices. There are only 2 Apple II computers left for me to get to have the ultimate collection: The Clear Light SuperStar and the Tiger Learning Computer. If anyone wants to trade, let me know. :)

I did recently pick up an Apple IIGS prototype, serial number 56! You can view it here: http://tanrunomad.com/vintage-computer-collection/apple-iigs-vegas-pvt-1986/

The market will deflate sooner or later if you want to wait it out, or just wait for a better deal.

Found at an estate sale. Great. Someone died for this to become available. At least it wasn't something around here, relatives would just toss it all in the trash because its ooooold.

I think you did the right thing. is I livet took me around 3 years to find an original Apple II in the wild, but ned, you just have to keep looking and not pay these insane eBay prices. There are only 2 Apple II computers left for me to get to have the ultimate collection: The Clear Light SuperStar and the Tiger Learning Computer. If anyone wants to trade, let me know. :)

I did recently pick up an Apple IIGS prototype, serial number 56! You can view it here: http://tanrunomad.com/vintage-computer-collection/apple-iigs-vegas-pvt-1986/

Wow nice! How did you end up finding your II? My problem is ebay is the only source ive ever known. Ive always lived in small towns where there's a limited supply of these things.

The market will deflate sooner or later if you want to wait it out, or just wait for a better deal.

That's what I'm hoping. It's not like there weren't 60,000 plus IIs made, although only a portion of that is Rev 0. Im looking forward to finding a Rev 4 board to complete my II. Should come in, all told, well under $1000.

I live about 45 minutes from the seller and got some responses, I was trying to figure out where the 1978 date came from and trying to verify for sure it was revision 0. Seller said the keyboard was dated 1978 as well as some of the chips (asked about the motherboard date but said they didn't want to take the case apart). If you look at completed listings you will see that the same listing ended with a $900 buy it now price (so maybe they originally listed it for $900 with a bin, I checked and it was bought and not ended by the seller, I guess they decided to relist for more dollars). I was prepared to go to $2500 since I could pay for it in person and at least see what I was buying before handing over the cash. Personally I didn't like the brevity of the sellers responses (it also took days to get them), sort of bugged me like they wanted to say as little as possible to hide some things

I live about 45 minutes from the seller and got some responses, I was trying to figure out where the 1978 date came from and trying to verify for sure it was revision 0. Seller said the keyboard was dated 1978 as well as some of the chips (asked about the motherboard date but said they didn't want to take the case apart). If you look at completed listings you will see that the same listing ended with a $900 buy it now price (so maybe they originally listed it for $900 with a bin, I checked and it was bought and not ended by the seller, I guess they decided to relist for more dollars). I was prepared to go to $2500 since I could pay for it in person and at least see what I was buying before handing over the cash. Personally I didn't like the brevity of the sellers responses (it also took days to get them), sort of bugged me like they wanted to say as little as possible to hide some things

Yeah something about that whole deal didn't smell right. I did look though at one of the pictures for the 'missing' color killer circuit (I think that's what it is) that distinguishes a Rev 0 from everything that followed (?) and from what I could tell, it did not have one. But it could have been an early clone board or something too. When they don't answer while trying to sell a high dollar item like that, it gets my ears up. I don't trust the Completed Listings now anymore either -- I've seen a lot of vintage computing stuff sold and resold there repeatedly. Don't know if it's 0 feedback idiots playing games or the sellers themselves. Kind of a good trick to play -- put your item up a couple times at an insane price, have some shills buy it, then put it up again-- slightly different ad and go fish. Creates a false impression of value and demand.

That said, there's always a deal to be had -- I missed, by 5 minutes, a B&H Apple II+ (with cut power cord, big deal) that had a buy it now of $25 (it lasted all of 17 minutes I think :)). My PET, which appears to just have a RAM issue, was $65. And every once in a while you get a seller who doesn't know what they have. But yeah, I didn't trust that seller on that A2 at all, so I sat it out. I'm watching to see if it appears yet again. :)

seller just got a positive feedback from buyer "Absolutely wonderful machine - collection growing again :) - Top Seller A+++++++"

makes me wish it was me leaving that feedback!

Back