• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Altos Computer Systems 5-5AD on Ebay.com (US)

billdeg

Technician
US Ebay # 371000301737. I have one of these, if anyone here gets this, let me know maybe I can help. I got help with mine waaaay back when I had trouble getting output to the screen...turned out that one of the 1488 chips driving serial output was bad. I believe I also put in a new ST-506 hard drive to replace the one it came with, but it turned out that the orig drive still worked (after learning more about the system).

Anyway, you don't see these very often. I am going through my "business systems" lately, so I will probably have this up on the bench soon.

Bill

Seems a bit pricey without knowing if the system actually works.
Would need to see output of a serial terminal plugged into port JC.

But potentially a solid system to run CP/M or MP/M.
Boot disks are available on Dave Dunfield's site.
Floppy is 700KB capacity.

Seems a bit pricey without knowing if the system actually works.
Would need to see output of a serial terminal plugged into port JC.

But potentially a solid system to run CP/M or MP/M.
Boot disks are available on Dave Dunfield's site.
Floppy is 700KB capacity.

Andy

@billdeg: Thanks for the tip. I just made an offer. This looks like an interesting little system. I don't know if I'll end up getting it, but now I'm curious. I've just gotten the User Manual from bitsavers, I've hopped over to "Dave's Old Computers," and my Google search has directed me to some of your great links. Are there any other online resources you'd recommend?

...the measuring tape is making my head explode. For the life of me I'm not seeing Package Depth (inch): 18 Package Length (inch): 21 Package Width (inch): 11 . Since it's not 8" but I'm surprised it has a 5.25" drive? (6.5" drive by my measuring with their handy tape). Neat system though and good way to get the name Altos in the house.

Based on the tape, the box itself is 14" x 17" x [something]. Then the "package" is those dims + 4". So I surmise the height is approx. 7". According to the manual, the unit has a CDC 9409T 5.25" FDD (DSQD), which is a full-height drive (approx. 3.25").

Yeah, it would be a good way to get Altos in the house. :) Plus we have an expert on hand right here, so I might actually be able to get the thing running.

Here's my big question: What is a reasonable price for this system? I've just received a counter-offer, but I think it's too high (of course). Anybody want to venture an estimate of a reasonable price?

@billdeg: Thanks for the tip. I just made an offer. This looks like an interesting little system. I don't know if I'll end up getting it, but now I'm curious. I've just gotten the User Manual from bitsavers, I've hopped over to "Dave's Old Computers," and my Google search has directed me to some of your great links. Are there any other online resources you'd recommend?

The most important thing to remember is the password trick I documented on my site, and the dunfield and other links I added to this thread:
http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=29

using a ruler, I measured that the system itself is roughly 6" x 16" x 13". My system has a ST506 and full height floppy (did not check brand could be a tandon). The mother board sits above the chassis and opens like a car hood making it very easy to service.

Value - personally I got mine for free maybe around 2003. It would be hard for me to justify paying too much for one of unknown operating condition, but if I was planning on using it a lot, $200 would be acceptable. The actual market "retail" price is probably just about what the guy is asking for, he's not crazy, if he waits a month or two it will sell at that price.

Yep, I agree with you -- that was my offer. There's also a 586 up for auction at about the same Buy It Now price (from a seller who usually has high prices).

Thanks for the thread. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

I'm "doing" CP/M these days because I just got an Osborne Executive, so this seemed like a timely addition, but I liked it at $200. Not sure I want to go much higher.

Back