• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sinclair TS1000 motherboard in a ti-99/4a case

Jay

Experienced Member
So for the first time in ages, i find myself with free time on my hands. Ive decided its time to work on my case swap project. Im cutting down the bottom half of the sinclairs case, so it can be used for the sinclairs mounting in the TI case.

Ive found all the info on how to mod the TI keyboard so it will replace the god aweful sinclair membrane keyboard.

Since theres several versions of kits to add sound capability for this, ill be doing that in the near future. Im a "tube guy" at heart, so im adding a mini amplifier to couple to the sound output, just for fun :)

Theres still a very strong aftermarket and quite a cult following for the oldies, so in time i hope to add the wifi feature, classic nintendo controllers and ssd for game storage.

2crssd5.jpg

2ijko61.jpg

Last edited:
What's with the tube sockets?

I enjoy building vacuum tube amplifiers, ive added a two tube, low power, amp to this just for the heck of it. Why not "flavor" that 8 bit sound with a tube buffer like this?

The Timex 1000 has no sound circuitry.

If youd have bothered to read my post, youd have found out that there are aftermarket "sound card" conversions for these. There are several manufacturers of them, ive just yet to purchase one. Ive more time than cash at the moment, so i will do what i can.

Here is an example. http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/zx812.html

Last edited:
The Timex 1000 has no sound circuitry.

... and what do you call it when you connect the cassette port to a speaker? You know, just like on the TRS-80 models 1 and 3? By definition a cassette port is a sound card; usually a halfway decent one at that for the time.

... and what do you call it when you connect the cassette port to a speaker? You know, just like on the TRS-80 models 1 and 3? By definition a cassette port is a sound card; usually a halfway decent one at that for the time.

But the ZX81/TS1000 uses the same chip to do video output and cassette input/output, which makes the video go out of synch when loading or saving data to/from cassette. So if you try to add cassette audio to your program it will make the video become unusable (interference patterns on an old TV, or just a blank blue screen on a newer TV).

Back