• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hard disc recommendations

This board can co-exist with the IBM stock MFM controller, and has the CF card accessible through the (custom made) expansion slot bracket, so you don't need to open the machine to change the card. I've just ordered more PCBs - should be available in a few weeks :)

I have made some pretty good friends in VCF over these last three years. In fact, one in particular, who shall remain unnamed at this point in time, who bought and paid for two replacement hard discs for my IBM 5161 and XT machines. As mentioned previously, I was looking to purchase two 30 MB full height Control Data hard discs. Well, my friend paid for them yesterday and I should take delivery no later than Wednesday, Jan 22. With these drives, I'll have a matching set of drives installed into my expansion unit, and a good replacement for the drive in my XT computer. Since all three drives match each other, I'll have some fun putting my vintage IBM systems back together again.

Then the 2nd half of the allthingsdos team, Ed Hall, will be helping me to not only install the drives, but he will be working with me to get the rest of my computers up and running, including a Commodore 64 for me and one for my brother-in-law who lives in Atlanta GA, then there is my Compaq Portable 2, and finally a Packard Bell Legend Force mini tower with a 1st gen 75 MHz processor, 16 MB of RAM and a 4X CD ROM. We'll be upgrading the Packard Bell to eliminate the all-in-one card and install separate components, such as video card, network adapter, sound card etc. So in other words, I'll be quite busy for a while after the CCS drives come in.

I may be in the market for a sound card, and network adapter for the PB.
I know I've asked this before, but does anyone have any suggestions for where I can downloading the PB master restore CD?

There is PB wiki with some master cd images I believe linked to in another VCF thread. If you are going to put in a few extracards the drivers may not be included in the restore cd. Not quite sure what you mean by all in one card. The PB machine may well have the sound, nic etc built in to it's mobo. Do you have some pics of the back of the machine showing the ports etc? A few OEMs did this. A topic for the Pentium class machine forum maybe?

Well, today was very productive; VERY productive indeed!

I had been battling getting the replacement hard discs working in my IBM 5161 expansion unit. With the major assistance given by modem7, George Minges and especially Ed Hall, the better half of All Things DOS, my IBM 5150/5161 system is back up and operating. Once Ed got into the expansion unit, he began by disconnecting all of the cables between the controller and both hard disc drives, reset the jumpers, and finally swapped the terminator from one drive to the other. Then he reconnected everything. When he finally booted the system up about 15 to 20 minutes later, it allowed him to low level format both hard discs, and install DOS 3.3. Now all I have to do is get my tweener back up and working, so I can reinstall Norton Commander (unless someone has it on either 1.44 MB 3.5" or 360 KB 5.25" floppy disc. I have the ability to use either floppy format on my system) Then I can proceed to install the rest of the programs I have on 360 Kb floppy, i.e. word processing, spreadsheet, and gaming software, and I'll have everything back to where it was before the MiniScribe drive went DOA on me.

There is still one problem that needs to be addressed though. While we had everything open, we found that the power supply fan is making a lot of noise too. So, I'll need to either replace the power supply fan, or the power supply itself. Personally, I am hoping to find the power supply from an IBM 5160 XT to replace the one installed in my IBM 5161 expansion unit. Then I can take my power supply and give it to Ed so he can swap out the fans and he'll have a good replacement power supply for his 5160 XT.

So, does anyone here have either the replacement power supply, or power supply fan? If so, how much do you want, including shipping? Please reply via private messaging. Hope to hear from someone soon, as I really want to get my system back to 100% again.

As always, thanks in advance.

I have lots of fans. I don't know if the fan in a 5161 is identical to one in a 5160 but if someone wants to clue me in I'd take a look thru my stash to see what I have.

If you can get the part number from the fan google it or look on ebay if Stone can't help you, It was a while back but i found the exact same fan i needed from a seller on ebay selling NOS Or Case cooling fans work well and much quieter too.

Unless the bearings in the old fan are truly shot, a drop or two of light oil in the right place might be all that's needed to quiet the fan back down.

Unless the bearings in the old fan are truly shot, a drop or two of light oil in the right place might be all that's needed to quiet the fan back down.

I thought of trying that, but when we opened the power supply, we found that the fan motor is a sealed unit. I suppose if I had a long enough needle I could reach the inner bearing, but if what I'm told in this thread is true, then I can replace the fan with a case cooling fan. I'm really not too fond of that idea, although if others can attest to this replacement, I will try it.

On another note, and still on topic: Between the two of us, both Ed Hall, and I have our own XT computers. Both have bad power supplies. (funny, huh? Is it that common of an issue?) In mine the power supply is completely DOA, but on his, the power supply still works, although its only providing 80% of its required output in both the 12 volt, and the 5 volt sides. 80% isn't enough to get the hard disc to spin up, or to boot the computer. It is also clear that Ed's 5160 had been run quite a while without a cooling fan in the power supply, as there is a burn pattern on the case's upper, right where the power supply sits underneath. So right now, we need to replace his power supply. So, I want to replace it entirely. I see no reason to even try rebuilding it, because of burning on the power supply circuit board, and I'm not sure of how extensive the damage might be. I don't want to waste the time, and money for something that MIGHT work.

The power supply in MY 5160 is completely dead though. But at least there is no burnt area, and the circuit board looks OK. Still, I would rather replace this power supply before trying a rebuild.

As for the power supply in my IBM 5161 Expansion Unit, I really worry about makeshift repairs. However, if others can attest to this practice of replacing the power supply fan with a case cooling fan, on their own power supply, then I'll try it on my own. But if nobody else has done it previously, then I don't want to try it.

If I do attempt it, what size of cooling fan would I need to purchase? It looks pretty simple to replace the original fan with a nice upgraded ball bearing fan.

Lastly; I have been searching E-Bay for XT power supplies for several months. I just can't seem to have any kind of luck in locating one to use as a replacement for the power supply in my XT with a decent price. I don't call $50.00 to $95.00 decent. When I needed one for a friend of mine a while back, there were plenty to choose from and I bought one for only $25.00. Now, it's become a rarity.

So does anyone here have a power supply I can buy at a reasonable price, maybe two so I can fix Ed's XT at the same time?

Again, as always; Thanks in advance everybody.

Just replace the fan in that one. I've replaced lots of fans in lots of power supplies and they've only needed to be replaced that one time. The repair has always lasted.

Just replace the fan in that one. I've replaced lots of fans in lots of power supplies and they've only needed to be replaced that one time. The repair has always lasted.

I appreciate that. So you think swapping out the bad fan with a case cooling fan will work?

Thanks stone.

A 12V DC fan is a 12V DC fan. Unless it's some lo-flow super quiet model it should do the job fine.

Just make sure it's the same diameter (so the screw holes line up easily), you install it so it blows air downwards, and that it provides good airflow (most do). If it ends up providing too much airflow, and you need to quieten down your new 747, a trick is to disconnect the fan's GND line and solder it up to +5 - provides 7V to the fan instead of 12V, was a cheap way to shuttup overkill fans before motherboards started getting decent fan controllers.

Connector may or may not be the same - just solder it up to the old plug.

As for the 'burn mark' on the case. That's quite common, most of my machines have it. I can't be sure what it is exactly, but my thoughts was that it's actually residue from when the old mains caps popped (I don't think I have any IBM's with the original paper caps still) - since it's in the opposite direction of airflow (e.g. it likely happened when the fan wasn't spinning).

Last edited:
Yes, should've mentioned that, they'll run quieter and more importantly longer in that orientation than a sleeve bearing fan.
Also try an avoid using "super cheap awesome fan max airflow 4000 only 5 dollars" fans. I've thrown out sealed ball bearing units after 6 months of use just because of cheap manufacturing (they got noisy way too quick).

I dug out the fan from my 5160's original power supply (a dead power supply, I might add). When I retro-fitted a more modern power supply into the original case, I used the fan from the replacement supply. This one is the original, and if yours is like this one, you can peel back the label to access the bearings.

I put the fan label side down on a heating register (a few moments under a hair dryer on low would accomplish the same thing) to soften the adhesive. Then use an Exacto knife or razor blade to get under the edge of the label, lift it until you can get ahold of it, then gently peel it back.

A couple of drops of light oil right in the center, then just carefully reapply the label. Mine needed no addition adhesive to stick back in place. If you are careful, you won't even be able to tell it has been peeled off.

I leave the fan lying face down for a spell to let the oil migrate down into the bearings. I wish I had left the original in the unit really, but now it's handy for this little demo.

fan1.jpgfan2.jpg

Exactly, Pay a bit more and get a decent ball bearing Fan and it will last for years, I refurbed the PSU on my 5160 when it popped an X2 cap, A complete recap and new fan and it's as good as new and much quieter, That was around 4 - 5 years ago and never a problem since.

Also try an avoid using "super cheap awesome fan max airflow 4000 only 5 dollars" fans. I've thrown out sealed ball bearing units after 6 months of use just because of cheap manufacturing (they got noisy way too quick).

If I sent my wife for the part, SHE would go for the cheapest one she could, but I'm the one who's going to buy the fan.

What I need to know (preferably before I open the power supply) is what size fan to get. I will be getting a real ball bearing fan, so that isn't even a part of the question. I HATE sleeve bearings. I've had too many of those go out on me in computers that came with them as part of their cooling. I even lost a computer because 2 of 3 cooling fans had seized and the processor over heated to the point where it blew out the thermal controller next to the processor. No, I've learned my lesson.

Another question: About running the fan off the 5 vold side of the power supply... Would that really give the fan enough power to keep the power supply cool enough?

Yes, should've mentioned that, they'll run quieter and more importantly longer in that orientation than a sleeve bearing fan.

It's 7 volts as far as the fan is concerned (difference between +5 and +12 is 7) but yes that provides enough for most fans to spin - but you only try that if the fan is doing crazy air at 12V. The more airflow the better - it's just an option if the new fan ends up pushing more air than it needs to and it gets annoying on the ears. So don't worry about that for now.

To find the fan size you need, look at the top of the PSU and measure between the screws (up and down, not diagonally) - then translate it with this page: http://www.quietpc.com/faq/27
Thickness I'd guess 25mm or maybe 32? Not sure about rpm off the top of my head - hopefully someone can recommend those details.

I'm a bit low on specifics, often I just run around the garage until I find an old P3 or P4 case or dead PSU with a fan that looks like it fits, check it spins quietly and blows reasonable air, and go with it. But if you're shopping for the perfect fan you'll probably want to be more picky.

The one in the pictures is an 80mm. I found this handy little chart.

Screw hole spacings and fan sizes
32mm between screw holes 40mm fan size
40mm between screw holes 50mm fan size
50mm between screw holes 60mm fan size
60mm between screw holes 70mm fan size
72mm between screw holes 80mm fan size
83mm between screw holes 92mm fan size
105mm between screw holes 120mm fan size

Excellent my friend! That is exactly what I need. Now, I can buy a case cooling fan and not have to open my 5150 until I'm ready to install it. From what I understand, even at 7 volts, case cooling fans move a lot more air than the original power supply fans do at full speed, so I'm feeling a bit better about doing this mod.

Thanks Fatwizard.

The one in the pictures is an 80mm. I found this handy little chart.

Screw hole spacings and fan sizes
32mm between screw holes 40mm fan size
40mm between screw holes 50mm fan size
50mm between screw holes 60mm fan size
60mm between screw holes 70mm fan size
72mm between screw holes 80mm fan size
83mm between screw holes 92mm fan size
105mm between screw holes 120mm fan size

I was given a power supply today, but I have no idea what it came from. It is much too large to fit in an XT or 5161 case. The voltages are right, as is the power switch assembly, but thered is no pass through. I'm attaching the few photos I have in order to see if anyone can tell me what this thing is. As you can see in the photos, this PSU is quite large in comparison with an XT power supply.

Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• XT Power Supply.jpg
    XT Power Supply.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Unknown Power Supply.jpg
    Unknown Power Supply.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Unknown PSU.jpg
    Unknown PSU.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Power Supplies.jpg