• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I wonder how one of these matches up against a Tseng ET4000????

I mean I know the Tseng was fast but this could be slightly faster.... And more ridiculously priced!

If it wasn't for today's video cards, you wouldn't have much of PC market. The prices may seems ridiculous, as you pointed out, but that's where its at. They sell every card that they can make in that price range and you would have a hard time actually getting your hands on one of those high end beauties. The bit mining folks gobble up the lion's share. Meanwhile, I suppose I'll have to be content with a pair of 7970's. :thumbsup:

The prices may seems ridiculous, as you pointed out, but that's where its at. They sell every card that they can make in that price range and you would have a hard time actually getting your hands on one of those high end beauties.

That's just because they just make too few to keep up prices. Now if they were churning out 1000s a day (or whatever number they churn out for the $150 cards) and still could not keep up with demand I would be amazed ;).

I think the bit mining folks would be using one of the more professional cards? Of course I think the bit mining folks are crazy as no government will allow the currency to be used in real life. Yes you may pay for stuff on eBay with it one day but you can never take it to your local supermarket and buy food...

They become common and cheap enough in about a year after release. Generally they also have enough horsepower to keep the average user going for half a decade.

When the next top dog card comes out last years tend to be dumped and plentiful. I think the AMD/ATI cards were the ones bitminers used to like but they moved to dedicated DSP boards now (and will quit when bitcoins can no longer be used as currency).

There has been a long history of extremely expensive low production video cards out there for PC and mac used for video editing, CAD, Photoshop etc.

Not necessarily true. I bought 2 XFX 7970 Double D's last year for a little less than $450 each, not both at the same time however. Those cards are still going for about $401. The comparable GTX 770's are currently selling for about $415. The extremely pricey ATI FirePro V9800, which is a professional card, and can drive 6 panels, currently goes for about $2737.62. The current Radeon R9 290X is the gamers choice (if you're into AMD/ATI) and it goes for about $630 today, if you can find one. So, I'd be willing to bet you a nickel to a hole in a doughnut that the price on that 290 will hold into next year with very little change, barring some sort of market catastrophe. I still maintain that video card sector is the driving force in the current PC industry.

The PC industry is in a nose dive, people are not upgrading like they used to and PC gaming is a small niche let alone the bleeding edge PC gamer. The driving force is PRICE.

The PC industry is in a nose dive, people are not upgrading like they used to and PC gaming is a small niche let alone the bleeding edge PC gamer. The driving force is PRICE.

I agree, the driving force is price. But how do you explain the current sparse availability quality of video cards.

I agree, the driving force is price. But how do you explain the current sparse availability quality of video cards.
Marketing and low production because of demand and more then likely chip yields. Bleeding edge cards were always in low production, video card companies made their money on the low to mid performance cards they mass produced. The flagship lines were always more about marketing and showmanship until the eventual die shrink or memory surplus makes them cheaper and then they become mainstream and mass produced.

This era isn't like the 90's where anyone could design and pay for their own little fab to make video chips by the millions. These days designing a video GPU is like making a CPU with all the thermal issues, speed issues, yield issues involved PLUS they have to farm out their production to a third party that will make them when a slot opens up IF their fabs don't screw them up. This is pretty much why they keep using the same designs for many revisions (die shrinks, tweeks) to pay for it all (like the 8800 turned into the 8800 GS, 8800 GTX,9800, 9800gtx, 9800 gtx+ , some model of the GT series).

Marketing and low production because of demand and more then likely chip yields. Bleeding edge cards were always in low production, video card companies made their money on the low to mid performance cards they mass produced. The flagship lines were always more about marketing and showmanship until the eventual die shrink or memory surplus makes them cheaper and then they become mainstream and mass produced.

This era isn't like the 90's where anyone could design and pay for their own little fab to make video chips by the millions. These days designing a video GPU is like making a CPU with all the thermal issues, speed issues, yield issues involved PLUS they have to farm out their production to a third party that will make them when a slot opens up IF their fabs don't screw them up. This is pretty much why they keep using the same designs for many revisions (die shrinks, tweeks) to pay for it all (like the 8800 turned into the 8800 GS, 8800 GTX,9800, 9800gtx, 9800 gtx+ , some model of the GT series).

I agree with just about everything you say, you make several good points. However, the articles that I have read lately (limited research) all cite the bit miners as the bunch who are sopping up the premium video cards and thus driving today's prices.

Back