• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Always getting site is down for maintenance message

arrow_runner

Veteran Member
My home workstation is always getting this vbulletin message when I visit this forum. The computer is running Win7 with no firewall and it happens in every browser. This is the only site I'm having issues with. I've flushed the DNS cache and rebooted. It's using the same DNS server as everything else in the house.

Any ideas?

My next thought is check which DNS service you're using. I use Open-DNS, but preference is up to you.. there's faster DNS services, I chose Open-DNS since reliability is their bread and butter.

If it were a DNS problem it wouldn't be just the one machine getting that error. And it wouldn't be getting a 'down for maintenance message ', either. :)

Check for malware. You might have an uninvited visitor.

Are you by chance using any sort of proxy server? Have you manually told the browser to refresh? I doubt you have one but if you have any sort of internet speed accelerator program installed they often use cached pages/proxies also that could have an old copy of the site online? Just guessing out loud with ya.

No the only weird thing about my setup is that I have virtual box installed. I can't see how that would cause this. Other than that the computer is just Windows 7 plus standalone apps.

Sorry, the board is unavailable at the moment while we complete maintenance.

(We will be back soon... I hope.)

That's the message. I ran two malware scans and they came back clean. vintage-computer.com/forum redirects to www.vintage-computer.com/forum
That's a valid message/page here which tells me you have some old pages cached/stored somewhere and that is what's being displayed insted of the current page. It could be a registry problem and since you're only getting it on one machine... whatever the problem is it's on that machine.

I swear I typed out my hosts file and didn't see anything wrong, but after uninstalling Virtual Box, using a different network adapter and turning everything non-MS related off in MSCONFIG I found this in my HOSTS file after getting a weird ping response.

199.91.126.125 vintage-computer.com
199.91.126.125 www.vintage-computer.com

Nslookup was giving me the correct IP, but when I pinged vintage-computer it came back with that address.

TDSSKiller, MBAM and MBAR all came back spotless and this was the only weird entry in my HOSTS file. I have no idea how that happened at this point....

The site is now working...

Whoever is running that server appears to have a mirrored version of this site, aside from a functioning forum.

EDIT: Well whoever is running the server at that IP is getting it from http://www.admo.net/. I was just in a chat session but the sales rep would only confirm that it was one of their IPs and did not seem to care about the matter.

2nd EDIT: According to the Shadow Copies snapshot, the modified HOSTS file was changed on ‎Wednesday, ‎March ‎27, ‎2013, ‏‎8:35:45 AM, though that could have easily have been forged.

My scans are still coming back clean. SuperAntiSpyware,Spybot and am currently checking with Avast.

Last edited:
Back