• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM 5150, 5151, 5153 & Epson FX80 in original boxes

FunctionalLimits

Experienced Member
The following are being sold by their original owner: IBM 5150 ("B" model), IBM 5151 monochrome (green) monitor, IBM 5153 color monitor, keyboard, cool "green-eyed" mouse, system software (DOS 2.0, Win 1.01, drivers) with manuals, some games (including Flight Simulator), and an Epson FX80 printer.

This system is incredibly well preserved. Everything is working, in excellent cosmetic condition, and in its original packaging. I found it on craigslist and corresponded with the owner. This was his first computer, and he would like the system to go to someone who will take good care of it. He's located in Oregon (Portland area) and would prefer a local sale but would be willing to ship. (I've already warned him about the fragility of the monitors, so he knows they would have to be packed very carefully.)

PM me for his direct email or go to http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sys/4367225960.html.

IMG_2753.jpg IMG_2754.jpg IMG_2761.jpg IMG_2762.jpg IMG_2800.jpg

Last edited:
If he ships the monitors in their original packaging, they'll probably come through ok, especially if the distance in question is short.

I've sent him an email, since it would be a nice twin to my 5160 (which also came from it's original owner).

If he ships the monitors in their original packaging, they'll probably come through ok, especially if the distance in question is short.

I've sent him an email, since it would be a nice twin to my 5160 (which also came from it's original owner).

Would love to know if you end up getting it. :)

@Stone - The original box was designed for shipping and provides quite a bit of good support for the monitor, and a short distance means less time in the shipping system, therefore less chance of it being really smashed around. But yeah, anything can happen in shipping, I just think this is the best bet.

I sent an email to the CL email address, but still haven't got a reply. I'll let you all know if I end up with it or not.

Oh, I surely agree with the original box part. It's the distance that I take issue with. If it travels ten miles on a truck or 10,000 miles on a plane it still only gets into trouble during the handling process -- the miles are irrelevant, unless, of course, the plane happened to depart from Kuala Lumpur. :)

Oh, I surely agree with the original box part. It's the distance that I take issue with. If it travels ten miles on a truck or 10,000 miles on a plane it still only gets into trouble during the handling process -- the miles are irrelevant, unless, of course, the plane happened to depart from Kuala Lumpur. :)

Well my argument is more from a statistics point of view, shorter distance means less time in transit, less time in transit means a lower chance of damage. But I agree, this is kind if irrelevant if the UPS dives who picks it up accidentally runs it over with his truck.

I don't think they do direct routes like that. Further distance to me means additional "distribution centers" and additional tossing of the box on and off the truck to the floor, conveyer belt or whatever.

You should assume that everyone that touches your package at USPS/UPS/FedEX, etc, is actually just Gallagher in disguise with a hidden sledge hammer.

Now, put that Apple II between the patented pans and.. it's not a slicer, not a dicer, not a chopper or a hopper, its the SLEDGE-O-MATIC!!!!!!!11!!!11 SMASH!!!!

I expect that when IBM transported this type of equipment to its resellers, a network of 'proven' carriers was used, under contract, with the threat to carriers that their contract with IBM would be cancelled if a significant number of transport 'incidents' were experienced. Under such an arrangements, a carrier is going to very careful so that their contract with IBM is not cancelled, something that if leaked to the press, would be quite damaging to the carrier.

It would also mean that IBM could use 'standard' packing techniques, not having to worry that the boxes will be dropped (particularly boxes containing CRT based monitors, and devices with hard drives).

I expect that when IBM transported this type of equipment to its resellers, a network of 'proven' carriers was used, under contract, with the threat to carriers that their contract with IBM would be cancelled if a significant number of transport 'incidents' were experienced. Under such an arrangements, a carrier is going to very careful so that their contract with IBM is not cancelled, something that if leaked to the press, would be quite damaging to the carrier.

It would also mean that IBM could use 'standard' packing techniques, not having to worry that the boxes will be dropped (particularly boxes containing CRT based monitors, and devices with hard drives).
Exactly my thoughts. This is why I tend to overpackage and prepare my equipment when I ship it, to make SURE that it arrives safely for the buyer. It takes a bit of time, but I tend to follow the adage that anything worth doing is worth doing right. Besides, if I packaged poorly, then I'd have more time - and less money - at the end of the transaction trying to make good on it!

The guy finally got back to me on it. He has "consulted with several people who have compiled eBay sales data over the past year" and has come up with a selling price of $500+, way out of my league, and personally I think that is way too much for a 5150, even given how complete it is. But I wish him luck in selling it.

Back