• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM AT 5170 Memory Error / parity error 2

offensive_Jerk

Veteran Member
I will be recieving a IBM AT 5170 that has an error message of:

02432KB OK
2C0004 0004 201 -MEMORY ERROR
-PARITY CHECK 2

I don't know the exact configuration of the machine, but by judging by the POST test it must have a 2MB RAM expansion card. I followed the IBM HMS diagnostic maps and from the limited information I have on hand until the machine arrives, it looks like the most likely fix would be to replace Bank 2, module 2.

I just am confused about the Parity Check 2 part of the error. I read that error will appear if the faulty ram is on a RAM expansion card. Are those two error codes related, and the parity check 2 error will go away after the ram is replaced? Or is it another error?

Also, I would like advise where/what module to buy to replace the faulty one, or do I need to wait until I get the machine?

memory error.jpg

How can you replace something that you haven't yet seen and don't really know what it is? :) Do you know if it's a 64K chip or a 256K chip?

How can you replace something that you haven't yet seen and don't really know what it is? :) Do you know if it's a 64K chip or a 256K chip?

I was just wondering in advance for things to check for. If it would be memory and it's cheap I could order it before hand and have it ready when it comes.
I don't know a whole lot about the 5170, so I was basically asking you guys since this forum collectively has a great amount of knowledge. Perhaps it was a widely known problem or something. But, yes, that was wishful thinking and I'm looking forward to getting the computer.

It would be a smarter idea to wait until it arrives and I know for sure what I have. I was just hoping for any input.

Since it's not on the motherboard (the bad chip) and you don't know what card is being used to supply expansion RAM it's impossible to know the answer to what you have requested. That should be immediately obvious. :)

Well since the POST screen said "02432 KB OK" I was assuming the IBM 2MB RAM expansion card was installed. But, you are correct, I don't know for sure. I was being presumptuous.

Anyway, I'll post an update once I get it in a few days.

Why assume that when it could be any one of several other brands? You know what happens when you ASSume anything, don't you? :)

Picking up cheap working spare RAM chips just seems prudent. You might not need it in this case but someday you will.

AT memory expansion cards used variously 64kb, 256kb, or 1Mb chips with some doing the tricky 3 chip mix* and very late memory expansion cards had switched over to using SIMMs. (Mine took 256KB and 1 MB SIMMS) Wait for the card to show up and all questions would be answered. I doubt a 2 MB card has 64kb chips on it; the typical 72 socket setup with all 256kb chips takes a full length board as it is.

* That is using 2 1Mb chips plus one 256kB chip instead of 9 256kb chips for 256kB with parity.

Lots of IBM 5170 information at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/index.htm
* POST error information is in the 'IBM 5170 - Some On-Screen POST Errors' link.
* RAM information is in the 'IBM 5170 - RAM Information' link.

2C0004 0004 201 -MEMORY ERROR
"2C0004 0004 201" equates to bit 2 at the 2.75 MB address mark.

I just am confused about the Parity Check 2 part of the error. I read that error will appear if the faulty ram is on a RAM expansion card. Are those two error codes related, and the parity check 2 error will go away after the ram is replaced? Or is it another error?
They are related. The 'PARITY CHECK 2' error should disappear after you rectify the 201 error (well, unless there are multiple RAM issues).

... it looks like the most likely fix would be to replace Bank 2, module 2.
As others have written, you do not have enough information yet to determine the faulty chip (or possibly, module).
Once you have the 5170, and thus can see what RAM is fitted on the motherboard, and how the RAM cards are configured, you should then be able to determine what RAM is where (e.g. look at the diagram [here]).

They are related. The 'PARITY CHECK 2' error should disappear after you rectify the 201 error (well, unless there are multiple RAM issues).

Thanks, this was my main question right now. I was curious if it was possible that the first issue disappears after the 201 error is resolved.

Yeah an expansion card that has a 386 and a ribbon cable plugs into the CPU socket. Intel Inboard 386 they call it.
I think I would like to put the 286 back in.
But first:

Anyone help on the memory error?

Last edited:
Anyone help on the memory error?
Your motherboard is of the type that has a single bank of 512 KB. We know that the bad RAM chip is not in that (it is at the 2.75 MB address mark).

The unknown card in slot #2 has RAM. It needs to be identified. Your 'larger resolution' link does not work. The card looks very close to a photo I have of an Intel Above Board AT. Do you see "Above Board" printed on it?

The "386" card will be providing RAM as well. Do you know for fact that it is an Intel Inboard 386 ?

Once the cards providing RAM are accurately identified, then their technical documentation is referred to in order to find out how much RAM each in providing, and where that RAM sits in the 5170's address space. And it will also lead to which RAM chip is the problem one.

One thing you can quickly try is to reseat all socketed RAM chips on both cards, in the hope that the problem cause is simply a dirty connection. Of course, observe static precautions.

I only see Intel on the memory board. No other writing. I will upload here.

I suspect it's an inboard Intel 386 card because of the sticker on the case, and the card here. I didn't remove the 386 card yet, don't wanna mess it up.

Maybe this link here will work right for the higher res photo of memory card.

13573524325_72d2a406f5_z.jpg
13571665203_2568f1c593_o.jpg
13571665333_142647941f_o.jpg

Back