• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Apple IIs on eBay and the prices

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I have looked at several Apple IIs and at the Apple II Plus's on eBay recently. Are these machines really worth they prices I am seeing?

The IIs do not seem to have low serial numbers and were made in 79 or 80 for the last two I have looked, but both were north of $1,500.00.

The RDF is particularly strong right now. Possibly related to the two lunar eclipses we're having this month.
Give it a few months and you'll see some in the $200+ range again.

...Possibly related to the two lunar eclipses we're having this month....
Sorry, but there can't be two lunar eclipses in one month if one of them occurs on the night or April 14-15. A lunar eclipse only occurs at the time of Full Moon and in order to have two of them in April the first would need to occur on April 1 or 2 with the second on April 29 or 30. So, you can see, it ain't gonna' happen.

I love visiting this forum, even if you do not get the answer to your question (which has never happened to me), it's always good for a laugh.

Thanks,

Guys

I think that price may unfortunately be here to stay for the original II. They've been harder to find in the past several years and prior to that I still saw them often go for a few hundred up to 800. Ironic since you'd have to upgrade it to use most of the later Apple II software. They're rivaling the old Altair range lol and I think it's a no brainer which one to get in that comparison. Although Altairs now have a tenancy to sell for $2000-3000 so they're clear of the Apple range for the time being.

Remember what happened to original ]['s in the mid-1980s? Either upgrade or trash, and in my experience it was about 50%!

Well. Apple II can still range a lot in price but they are up there. FYI. A working Altair is way more than 2-3k. We haven't seen one on eBay that works and can actually load basic in years. People hold on to them. Also originality counts, most Altair don't have the original motherboards or power supplies.

Now back to the Apple II.

A Rev-1 or higher will be 1500-3000k depending on condition. Serial numbers ranging from 7000 up to 70,000+ (Apple appears to have skipped a whole range of numbers so 70,000 isn't the 70,000 produced)

A Rev-0 with vents is 5-7k these days depending on condition

A Rev-0 ventless is minimum 25k depending on condition.

So if you have an Apple II any rev and can hold onto it. I would... It's an investment.

Cheers,
Corey

Corey:

Did all the Rev -0 have the green expansion slot.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Yes. But there were two shades of green. A dark and a light shade. Plus the actual board is very different from the rev-1. You can quickly identify them because there isn't a color killer transistor. When you turn them on without a disk controller they boot to a garbage screen like the Apple-1 and you manually reset them.

There are other differences like the colors are different as well.

Cheers,
Corey

Back