• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5160 questions/Power Supply and other issues

bettablue

Veteran Member
I am such a dolt! :dunce:

I finally have a good power supply to replace the bad one in my 5160 XT. :p Since the PSU arrived without a fan, I pulled the fan from the old bad unit, and installed it into the replacement. That part of the repair went just as expected. :happy10: I soldered the connection and covered them with heat shrink tubing. Now the PSU is just as it should be, and ready to install into the XT. The problem I'm running into is when attempting to connect the PSU to the XT's mother board. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the connectors labeled "P8" and "P9", but when attempting to plug them into the mother board, I can't seem to get them to connect. :confused3:

Looking down at the mother board from the top, the Connectors labeled "P1" is at the end of the two side-by-side connectors. I know I've connected these in other computers, but can't seem to get these to snap into place. The other issue I have is that I'm not sure which one of the connectors receive "P8", or "P9". Is there a document, or somewhere in my current documentation can I find the diagram or something to show, or tell me which connectors go where?

As always, thanks much my friends. :bow:

Black wires always go in the middle.
Red wires towards the front of the case.
Yellow/Orange wires towards the back.

The piece of plastic that usually locks them in to place may need to be encouraged to go back a little further when you insert the plugs.
If it's a clone power supply, check the connectors don't have an extra key or blocked off pin hole.

Not always. How may power supplies did you check? I just checked seven and six read P9P8 but one read P8P9. :)

Hundreds. I've never seen one that read P8P9.

But, for all I know, 60% of them could read P8P9 and I've only seen a sampling of the 40%.:D

Incidentally, on the one that does read P8P9, does it have stickers, or are the legends molded?

The labeling is actually printed in black ink on one side of the connector. I don't know if this was an original, but suspect that it is a clone primarily because it is a 150 watt unit. Also, I can take some photos of the mother board, and power supply if that would help you figure out what I have going on. However, I also think that stone is correct in that I can try to plug in the connectors with the four black wires right next to each other; two black wires on each connector. This seems to ring a bell.

Thanks much.

Hundreds. I've never seen one that read P8P9.

But, for all I know, 60% of them could read P8P9 and I've only seen a sampling of the 40%.:D

Incidentally, on the one that does read P8P9, does it have stickers, or are the legends molded?

You are much better off going by the wire color than the lettering.

I've seen a few generic supplies that used all black, or all white wires, which is why I usually look for the P9P8, but apparently they aren't all P9P8, so that's not good practise anymore.

Thanks for the assist. I was finally able to get the power supply connected, and the computer assembled today with your advice. So far, everything seems to be going smoothly, but I still don't have the original hard disc it came with. Ed had removed it for some reason we can't remember, so the 40 MB Control Data is the only one I have left to try. I'm not even sure which HD controller is in the XT. I'll try it out anyway. I'll keep y'all up to date, and will post a new thread if needed.

Thanks again.

And again, thank you my friends. I was having another one of my senior moments, and just couldn't remember which connector went where... Once you had given me that small bit of info regarding the placement of the black wires, the rest was easy. Now, I'm ready to go for the final assembly, which I hope to finish in the next day or two.

Thanks again.

~BB~

And, congrats to you as well... for finally getting a keyboard with a shift key. :)

Back