• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Clearpoint DCME-Q4E Doumentation

8008guy

Veteran Member
Hi!

Being new to the board a quick introduction is probably in order.

I've been fascinated by technology my entire life. When I was a teen back in the 70's my first experience was programming in basic on the University of Utah's Univac 1108. As a non-student I could buy 10 hours of time for one dollar per hour!

At about the same time microcomputers were coming to life and I wanted one of my own. Not having a lot of money I settled on the intel 8008. I wrote intel for a copy of the manual and set out to build my own computer. It took me three years of wire wrapping and soldering in all, but in the end I had built my own computer.

During the PC era I passed over the opportunity to buy a surplus PDP11 at the U's surplus show. Now 30 years later I'm building a PDP from parts acquired off ebay, funny how that works... My goal is to build a 11/83 running version 7 or BSD 2.11. I'll have most of the hardware in a week or two. I'm really excited to have my own Mini, being the geek I am.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading and researching what I need. I'm really grateful to many of you, and others, that have posted so much information!

I have a few questions...

I bought a Clearpoint DCME-Q4E and can't find any documentation. Might someone be able to help me with the jumper settings?

I am going to use an Emulex UC07 SCSI controller and a AztecMonster CF to SCSI card. From reading the forums I assume that this will work. If anyone has used the AztecMonster can you tell me what to expect when I have to enter the drive geometry, or will the AztecMonster card report something automatically?

I plan to use Ersatz-11 to build by drive image and then write it to my "drive". I'm doing this on Linux. The free version of Ersatz-11 indicates that the free version can only handle disks up to 256k. If I write the image to a 256k disk image is there a way to "expand" the drive space later? I have a 1 gig and a 4 gig CF card to play with. Plus some other older SCSI drives that are 4 and 9 gig.

I appreciate everyone's patience with me. I've very experienced with Linux, and years ago with SCO, on a X86 platform. But bringing up a PDP is going to put me out of my comfort zone a bit!

Cheers

len

p.s. If you want to see a few of my other projects look here: chronworks

Hi Len,

Welcome! I've followed your 8008 work and enjoyed your website. My SCELBI and Mark8 are gone but I still have an RGS-008 and some MOD8 stuff. BTW, that Godbout Mark 8 board was a design he stole from John Burgoon who went on to found Solidstate Music Systems; you'll find ads for it in the Micro-8 Newsletter.

Sorry I can't help you with the Clearpoint board but glad you're here with us. I'm sure someone will step up with the info you need.

Best,
Jack

Thanks Jack,

I remember all those vendors. I have a Mark 8 replica that I still need to wire together. I wish Jon would have put something else for a bus that would have been more manageable... :huh:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Clearpoint info.

len

Hi Len,

Welcome! I've followed your 8008 work and enjoyed your website. My SCELBI and Mark8 are gone but I still have an RGS-008 and some MOD8 stuff. BTW, that Godbout Mark 8 board was a design he stole from John Burgoon who went on to found Solidstate Music Systems; you'll find ads for it in the Micro-8 Newsletter.

Sorry I can't help you with the Clearpoint board but glad you're here with us. I'm sure someone will step up with the info you need.

Best,
Jack

No takers on this yet... :(

Might anyone have a working Clearpoint DCME-Q4E in their PDP's working in PMI mode that you can take a photo of your jumper settings?

So, I'm guessing that you have the board, and it's not being recognized?

You have the memory in slot #1, and the CPU in slot #2 ?

So, I'm guessing that you have the board, and it's not being recognized?

You have the memory in slot #1, and the CPU in slot #2 ?

I haven't plugged it in yet. I'm in the process of replacing the caps in my PS. I was just wating to make sure it was optioned ok before plugging it in. I plan to put it in slot one and the cpu in slot 2.

len

Back